Varnish on Enclosure

tortgrl

I am building a simple outside enclosure for my tortoise. Is it okay to varnish the wood to protect the wood from moisture? Someone mentioned the tortoise might chew or whatever on the wood and it might not be safe? Can someone give me some advice? Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I personally would not use varnish....bad stuff. Just keep in mind that whatever wood you use, it will eventually need to be replaced in time...you may want to consider using concrete blocks or metal panels--these take much longer and near never need to be replaced....:D

tortgrl

ascott said:
I personally would not use varnish....bad stuff. Just keep in mind that whatever wood you use, it will eventually need to be replaced in time...you may want to consider using concrete blocks or metal panels--these take much longer and near never need to be replaced....:D

Thanks...I won't use the varnish. I made an enclosure for my juvie that I can move around, which is why it is wood.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando Florida
I used just plain wood sealer on mine and kept them out of it until it was dry the smell was gone.