Vegetable scraps

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange, CA
Try to feed my 4-year-old desert tortoise as broad a mix as possible. Right now the diet consists of about 50% spring minor similar, 25% cactus pads and 25% local weeds. I’d like to mix in some of my dinner vegetable scraps but am a bit unsure what should definitely be avoided. Generally what I have leftover are carrots, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, etc. none of this would ever exceed 5-10% total. Are there any that should be 0%?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you talking cooked leftovers or raw?
If cooked and anyrhing added I don't think that would be good to feed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dont have a DT but have leopards and a Russian. I will occasionally feed everything you listed but no tomato or avocado. Both are bad for most if not all torts. I will also feed bell peppers red, green, yellow and orange colored ones. All occasionally, which equals maybe once a month and not a lot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try to feed my 4-year-old desert tortoise as broad a mix as possible. Right now the diet consists of about 50% spring minor similar, 25% cactus pads and 25% local weeds. I’d like to mix in some of my dinner vegetable scraps but am a bit unsure what should definitely be avoided. Generally what I have leftover are carrots, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, etc. none of this would ever exceed 5-10% total. Are there any that should be 0%?
I'd skip the avocado, but the rest should be fine in such small amounts once in a while.

I'd use something other than spring mix. It lacks fiber and its not good for 50% of the diet. Use endive, escarole, arugula, cilantro, collards, and so many more. Grass should be 50% of the diet, opuntia 25%, and grocery store greens can make up the rest, if needed. Look for mulberry leaves, grape leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves, lavatera, and so many more.