Veggie fish food

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg1119

5 Year Member
First, I would like to say how much helpful information I have found from these forums. My tortoise thanks you all!

Has anyone ever looked into feeding high quality veggie fish food to tortoise that require low protein diet?

I have african cichlids that I feed high quality low protein food to.

The brands with their protein content:
Dainichi - Veggie Deluxe 38% protein, 4% fiber, 2% calcium contains kelp, spirulina, krill
*Makes other herbivorous mixtures

Hikiari - Cichlid excel 37% protein, spirulina, and krill, 0.8% phosphorus

New Life Spectrum - Cichlid - 34% protein, 5% fiber, Vit A, Vit D, and Vit E

It seems that these foods may provide beneficial supplement to the diet of some tortoises.

I have a 6 month old yellow footed tortoise and would like some opinions if supplementing Smitty's diet with a little fish food would be good or bad.

Todd

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Welcome to the group! No, fish food is not appropriate for a herbivore. If you feel the need to have commercial food as a small part of the diet, use Mazuri Tortoise Diet or Grassland Tortoise Food.

R

robinhoods123

Well, for coldwater, goldfish, Most of the strict vegetarian fish are marines, especially fish from the tang, surgeon-fish family and some of the blennies, You can also keep snails and freshwater shrimp that are algae eaters.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I think that's too high a protein content for most tort species, although not a yellowfoot. What I don't like about the fish foods (for my fish either) is the high levels of preservatives. I don't think it would hurt a redfoot or a yellowfoot to occasionally get a little bit, but I wouldn't give it to any of the other, strictly vegetarian species.

Status
Not open for further replies.