Venomous snakes and tortoises

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Ok so to start all tortoises are safe and bite free.

My daughter brought up a good question. What do we do if for some reason a snake venomous gets into our yard and bites one of the tortoises?

/knocks on wood - We have been very lucky and have never seen any danger noodles. It could be because we have some pretty good size king snakes keeping them at bay. I hope it stays that way too.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
A tortoise is definitely not on a snakes menu and highly unlikely it would attempt to bite but rather just slither away from the super fast tortoise 😄 tortoises also have some pretty good armor so the snake would have to hit the perfect spot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it has something to do with tortoises being cold blooded and snake seeing heat related prey. @Tom. has talked about this before.

Megatron's Mom

I think it has something to do with tortoises being cold blooded and snake seeing heat related prey. @Tom. has talked about this before.
I don't know why I didn't think of that. My daughter has snakes and when she thaws mice or rats for them she also has to heat them up in hot water.

Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok so to start all tortoises are safe and bite free.

My daughter brought up a good question. What do we do if for some reason a snake venomous gets into our yard and bites one of the tortoises?

/knocks on wood - We have been very lucky and have never seen any danger noodles. It could be because we have some pretty good size king snakes keeping them at bay. I hope it stays that way too.
I don't think anyone knows how the venom from all the various native snakes near you would interact with a foreign tortoise species. What I do know is that snakes don't bite tortoises. In Florida the rattlesnakes live in the burrows of the gopher tortoises with the tortoises. At my ranch I have tortoise pens all over the place. I catch two or three rattlesnakes a year on my place, and another dozen or so at neighbor's ranches. None of my tortoises have ever been bit. I'm not going to say it is impossible, but I will say its improbable. If it happens, it doesn't happen very often. I've never heard of a single case of it.

All the reasons have been pointed out. Everything previous posters listed are valid points.

My best guess is that if a venomous snake did bite your tortoise, and somehow managed to get past the armor and inject venom into the tortoise, then the tortoise would likely die. I hope none of us ever has to find out.

Megatron's Mom

I don't think anyone knows how the venom from all the various native snakes near you would interact with a foreign tortoise species. What I do know is that snakes don't bite tortoises. In Florida the rattlesnakes live in the burrows of the gopher tortoises with the tortoises. At my ranch I have tortoise pens all over the place. I catch two or three rattlesnakes a year on my place, and another dozen or so at neighbor's ranches. None of my tortoises have ever been bit. I'm not going to say it is impossible, but I will say its improbable. If it happens, it doesn't happen very often. I've never heard of a single case of it.

All the reasons have been pointed out. Everything previous posters listed are valid points.

My best guess is that if a venomous snake did bite your tortoise, and somehow managed to get past the armor and inject venom into the tortoise, then the tortoise would likely die. I hope none of us ever has to find out.
Thank you, I'll keep my fingers crossed that I never find out too.