Very frustrating turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centexsnakes

5 Year Member
So I still haven't seen my little guy eat, I've put him in a separate container and left the room so he could have peace, but he didn't eat the worms, or the pill bugs or the crickets. Hopefully he is chowing down in the mornings when I'm not up but it's driving me crazy!!

1.1 ball pythons 0.0.1 RES
0.0.1 eastern box 2.1 cats
0.1 dog

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep a record of his weight. This way you will know if he's gaining or loosing. Also keep offering the food. Also, does he have a warm enough basking spot? 95+

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
I would take him outside and offer a worm. They love worms!! Also give some wild dandelions, they love them & they're also high in nutrients

Centexsnakes

5 Year Member
Ya, I'm keeping track of his weight, he's 28.2 grams, gonna check in a week, hopefully it's gone up by then, as to his basking spot it's goes from about 93 to 97 depending on if the ac is running or not. His cool side sits at 78 degrees, he pretty much stays hidden over on the cool side. I haven't seen him exploring to much either, granted I've only had him for a week, and he might just be still getting used to evething

0.1 dog

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Carful with such high basking temps for a small guy like yours, with younger turtles I have no basking area and I will soak in warm water to get them warm and then ill chop night crawlers up and leave them alone, that will do the trick for me. Also I would soak them
And put aquatic turtle food in with them, babies tend to eat the sticks while soaking which is good high protein. I have 4 harchling about a month old all been eating great. Goodluck!

Centexsnakes

5 Year Member
Thank you! I will try the turtle sticks when I soak him tomorrow! That's a great idea! I'll try the chopped up worm but wouldn't the live one wiggling be more attractive to him?

0.1 dog

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
Just be patient with him. Some go up to weeks without eating when first acquired. He needs to feel safe and be comfortably established in his new environment before he will eat. Every day, offer the same foods until he decides to try it out. Anything moving should do the trick--stick with small worms & crickets for now. Make sure they're in plain sight because action stimulates them to hunt the bug. Good luck!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Mine don't touch red wigglers idk why. But chopped up nightcrawlers move for awhile before the stop, mine ate chopped nightcrawler before ever goin for a red wiggler. Also I have this aquatics treats for turtles and it has fried mealworms one of my hatchling ate two while soaking. I always count like 10 sticks in the water leave and come back see of any are gone, last time they ate all of them and the 4 of them ate a nightcrawler

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby box turtles are sometimes hard to get started eating. I usually start mine in water. I get them up first thing in the a.m. and put them into a small tub of warm water with some tubifex/blood worms in the water. Then I get out of sight. I have the tub placed in their habitat at the edge of where the light shines down on the floor.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Bloodworm cubes in the soak water are hard to resist. You could try to put out the food before you go to bed, they tend to wake up around 5 am, so having food available and no "giant" around will encourage them to come out and try a nibble. Set it in a way that you can tell its been gone through.

zman7590

5 Year Member
Just watch his weight!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

Centexsnakes

5 Year Member
So I put him in a dish threw in a few small worms and left to feed my mice, as I'm doing that I see all cans of movement from his cage, I kinda poke my head out and he is chowing down on a worm!! It's a relief to Know he is eating!! I just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and great advice I've gotten here!!

0.1 dog

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Centexsnakes said:
So I put him in a dish threw in a few small worms and left to feed my mice, as I'm doing that I see all cans of movement from his cage, I kinda poke my head out and he is chowing down on a worm!! It's a relief to Know he is eating!! I just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and great advice I've gotten here!!

0.1 dog

High five! Awesome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.