Very slow grower

WildExotics

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I have two sulcatas, both slightly different in age. Both rescued, so age assumption is just an approximation. They both get soaked and fed on the same schedule. But, one grows much slower than the other. The smaller one has just flashed me, so we now know that they are both boys. I’ve heard of slow growers, but I’m unclear if there should be case for concern. Does anyone have experience or information on slow growers being a case for concern, or if this just happens sometimes?
EDIT: Before we rescued them, they were housed together. Since they’ve been with us, we’ve keep them in separate enclosures :)
Thank you!
IMG_3117.jpeg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Difference in size is quite common when keeping tortoises in pairs. They don't do well in pairs. Each should have his own yard. I think if you separate them the smaller one will soon catch up to the other one in size.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they are housed together, that's part of the slow growth. Tortoises should never be housed together. Besides the constant stress, one will always be the bully.

WildExotics

New Jersey
Difference in size is quite common when keeping tortoises in pairs. They don't do well in pairs. Each should have his own yard. I think if you separate them the smaller one will soon catch up to the other one in size.
I should have added: the tortoises are kept in separate enclosures!

WildExotics

New Jersey
If they are housed together, that's part of the slow growth. Tortoises should never be housed together. Besides the constant stress, one will always be the bully.
Just edited my post to say that they are kept separately! Before we rescued them, they were kept together. But for the last year, they have been separate :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Do you keep track of their weight? If they both add up from week to week, probably, there is no reason to worry. Also, some tortoises grow in "spurts" - have more or less stable weight for some time and then gain a lot through the week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just edited my post to say that they are kept separately! Before we rescued them, they were kept together. But for the last year, they have been separate :)
Likely from before you got them. The little one should catch up, will just take some time.