Normal growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janice c

10 Year Member!
Sheldon, my sulcata, is about 3 years old (I think). We acquired him at a reptile expo almost two years ago, and they said he was about a year old at that time. My concern is that he doesn't seem to have grown as much as he should have in the time we've had him; everything I've read indicates that juveniles grow pretty fast but I can never find any kind of average age/size reference material. The length of his shell has grown maybe two inches in the two years we've had him; he's about 6" long right now. Does this sound about right?
He eats like a horse - about a quart sized ziplock bag packed full of grass on most days - and loves to soak up the light in his indoor home. He is housed in a modified baby pool :) with two "caves", one is a humid hide. We use an Exo-Terra Solar Glo 125 watt bulb (UVA/UVB/heat) and he has a small outdoor pen where he spends a few hours on sunny afternoons. He is otherwise happy and healthy - I'm just concerned about his size...how quickly should I expect him to grow?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
They all grow at a different rate. My 15 month old Sulcata Cooper is 8lbs. and 10 inch's long. He is really growing fast for some reason. But there are people that have about the same age as mine that are less then half his size. Do you offer Sheldon other kinds of greens to eat? I wouldnt worry about his size very much. Just as long as he eats and poo's on a normal basis he should be just fine! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. As aggravating as it is, to not be able to size him to a chart of some sort, i know, been there. I agree, each one is different and raised different to some point, so as long as everything else is going good and he eats, poops normal, etc, then I wouldn't worry about his size. I would bump up the different kinds of food, if you are only feeding mainly grass. Cactus, other dark leafy greens, Mazuri tortoise food, all good to add in.:D

janice c

10 Year Member!
He gets a few other greens occasionally - clover, dandelion leaves, mustard & turnip greens (in the winter when grass is scarce). He has a good appetite, and poos...well, plenty Haha :) Thanks for responding

Urtle

5 Year Member
I sometimes wonder the same thing about my tortoise. I think your fine. As long as they are healthy getting enough light, moisture, food, and ground its no problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a little small for a thre year old but not terrible. How often did you soak when you first got him? Now?

Grass is a great food for them but they tend to grow pretty slow on just that. You could try offering some more variety and possibly some Mazuri to make sure he's getting all the nutrients he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.