When to see growth

Sundvl

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Hey everyone,

I have a sulcata and he is about 11-12 months old. I bought him from a local breeder in town. He primarily eats collard, mustard and cactus pads. When it’s a over 60 and sunny here in AZ in the winter I take him out and get sun and grass. Most people say they grow faster. The first two years. When inside I have him in a tortoise box with UV Light, heat source etc

Here he is

Attachments

• 2A98F476-05CB-4CC8-AB19-DA80164A92E5.jpeg
    2A98F476-05CB-4CC8-AB19-DA80164A92E5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome to the forum! That's a cute little Sulcata.

Have you read the caresheet for Sulcatas? Super helpful when you're first getting started.... are you just getting started? You didn't say how long you've had him. Well just in case here it is...
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/
Another helpful thread...
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I'm envious of your sunny, 60 degree days... probably 5 more months of rain here in Oregon.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Doesn’t answer my question but thanks

I’m not sure what your question is??? I thought it was just an introduction. There are plenty of people here that will be glad to try and answer any questions you have. But I did want to say welcome!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
It's different for everyone. There are several threads in the sulcata section of the forum where people have tracked the growth of their sulcata. You can look at those to get an idea. If you want your sulcata to grow, be sure to provide the right conditions. The substrate your tortoise is sitting on looks dry. Your tortoise should be soaked in warm water daily. His indoor enclosure should be warm and humid, and enclosed completely with a cover. Your sulcata is starting to pyramid. If you provide the correct humidity, you can't correct it, but you can keep him healthy from now on. Being in AZ, you have to be more vigilant to provide humidity since the air is so dry.

Sundvl

Phoenix
Sorry I misunderstood the title and didn't realize it was a question.

That was clearly my fault. Sorry about that

My guy is currently .66 pounds so I was just curious of growth rate. I know it can vary. I’ll jsut weigh him every now and then

Sundvl

Phoenix
It's different for everyone. There are several threads in the sulcata section of the forum where people have tracked the growth of their sulcata. You can look at those to get an idea. If you want your sulcata to grow, be sure to provide the right conditions. The substrate your tortoise is sitting on looks dry. Your tortoise should be soaked in warm water daily. His indoor enclosure should be warm and humid, and enclosed completely with a cover. Your sulcata is starting to pyramid. If you provide the correct humidity, you can't correct it, but you can keep him healthy from now on. Being in AZ, you have to be more vigilant to provide humidity since the air is so dry.

I try and mist him daily and soak him every few days. I’ll try and find something to put over the screen that covers half the tub

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I try and mist him daily and soak him every few days. I’ll try and find something to put over the screen that covers half the tub
I've heard that some people use tin foil. That's an easy way to go but I'm not sure if it's the most effective. If you search the forum for closed chamber enclosures you might get some better ideas.

Sundvl

Phoenix
I think for the time being I will get a long Tupperware container and cut the end off and fill that will eco earth. That should keep humidity high and I can spray the whole enclosure and add water to the hide as needed.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I think for the time being I will get a long Tupperware container and cut the end off and fill that will eco earth. That should keep humidity high and I can spray the whole enclosure and add water to the hide as needed.
Christmas tree totes are a popular option. Maybe there would still be some available this time of year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A sulcata eats. A sulcata grows. Facts of life for a sulcata! When all his parameters for good care are met, he grows. There is no 'time of year' for growth.

Sundvl

Phoenix
Ok so for a quick update I have replaced his bedding with eco earth. It seems way more moist and humid and it sits him a little closer to the uV bulb and my reader shows the level at his shell at 4.3. I have covered the screen portion (most of it) with foil to hold in the humidity. I’m spraying throughout the day and I’m soaking him twice a day. The second time I put him in his tub in the bathroom while I shower so my hot shower gives him a great sauna. I’ll kee the door closed when I’m done so he gets a good 30 min of sauna time

Thanks for all the tips everyone