normal growth rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelzNH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
Hi! my sulcata will be two years old in the spring. I got him from a breeder I know and right when he was a hatchling so I know his age. In the spring summer and fall he has an outdoor enclosure and grazes all day on grasses and weeds. In the winter he has an indoor enclosure (that we are about to upgrade...but that's another story) and he eats grass that we grow, cat grass, dandelion greens from the grocery store and the occassional opuntia fruit and spring mix. He seems to eat well enough and also seems very active and healthy. I have no reason to think that there is anything wrong with him except that I read things on this forum like that someone else has a two year old sulcata who weighs 27 pounds!? I have logged my tort's weight regularly and he currently weighs 230 GRAMS... not even a pound yet. so what's the deal exactly? why would there be such a huge difference in weight between two sully torts of the same age? What are your torts' sizes?

argus333

5 Year Member
mine is 2.5 yrs old and is 10 inches. mine is kept same as yours outside may to nov and eats grass all summer and greens/grass all winter mazuri once a week and tortoise is soaked once a week. if u feed a lot of protein they will grow way faster but i feel it is not good.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Individual torts grow at different rates depending on their genes, diet, habitat, etc. As long as he's active, eating and pooping regularly, I don't see any reason to be concerned if he's a little small.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
My Kresh is 2 and he is 3 lb 12 Oz he is 9 in long and 6 in wide. Most of that growth was this past summer. He eats grass, spring mix, and muzri. He drinks a lot of water. Don't know why yours would be so small but everyone says they grow at their own rate and I don't really believe there is a 27 lb 2 year old out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.