Should I be worried ?

Annie Robinson

Hello all, haven't posted for a while so please accept my apologies.
I posted on here a while ago about our young Sulcata which was named Louie but have since changed her name to Daisy.
I know all animals grow differently and at different rates but am I doing something wrong?.
Daisy is 17 months old, free roams the garden and grazes on grass 80% of the time, has Nutrazu mixed with just grass once a week, soaked chopped just grass and some weeds, yet she is a huge weight compared to others her age.
She weighs 1169g or 2.5 lbs.
We were told by several keepers and knowledgeable cholonian keepers that she is a Sudanese sulcata, if this is correct, would that explain why she's so heavey and " round"?
She looks as though she swallowed an overgrown Base ball lol.
If the information is correct of her being Sudanese, how big is she expect to grow to and weight wise please?

Annie Robinson

Her carapace length is just under 7".
I'm trying to work out how to upload a picture but it's not playing nicely lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That is a pretty normal weight for a 17 month old sulcata that is hydrated and fed correctly. Dean and I have both had them hit that size in 12 months.

Without knowing the country of origin of the parents, there is really no way to tell if your tortoise is of Sudanese origin. I've raised lots of non-sudandese sulcatas and had them look pretty round too. Tuck and Trey come to mind. I have three Sudanese sulcatas that are 4 years old and right now they don't look any different than "regular" sulcatas.

Sudan females get about the same size as any other sulcata in my experience. The males however can reach 250 pounds where most males get about 110-120. I saw one male that was very close to 400 pounds.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I don't think that's huge compared to most 2 year olds, that sounds about average. Mine just turned 2 and is over 10" and 8 pounds

Annie Robinson

Phew thank you Tom, I was getting worried I had a monster lol.
She is cared for well.
We used to bathe her every single day until she reached a year old, from then on every 2nd day.
Some days I don't offer food, just let her graze in the garden freely which I think is ideal for her and myself, I also do the same with our 3 leopards too).
She goes to the toilet everyday and nearly always has excess u rates so I know she's getting enough calcium intake

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Posting pictures from a smart phone:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/posting-pictures-from-smart-phone.144047/

posting pictures from your computer:

At the bottom of your posting box click on "upload a file"
Choose your picture program then which picture you want to post and click 'open'
When your picture loads, click on "full image"

Then if you're finished with your post, click "post reply"

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Phew thank you Tom, I was getting worried I had a monster lol.
She is cared for well.
We used to bathe her every single day until she reached a year old, from then on every 2nd day.
Some days I don't offer food, just let her graze in the garden freely which I think is ideal for her and myself, I also do the same with our 3 leopards too).
She goes to the toilet everyday and nearly always has excess u rates so I know she's getting enough calcium intake
Urate is a how a tort rids itself of excess protein. It has nothing to do with calcium.

If urate is gritty then your tort is dehydrated. A properly hydrated tort will excrete runny mucus like urate.