Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When I bought my first Russian tortoise about 20 years ago, I went to a wholesaler in Southern California and that was what they looked like. There were 1,000's of them, all piled up on top of each other! At least there weren't any dead or maggot-infested animals, but it was horrible to see.

I'm going to save the portion of Darryll's article about how they are all mixed up and cross-contaminating each other to post when the question of mixing species comes up again.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for posting this message. Here in canada,there are not a lot of breeders you can buy your tortoise from. I bought mine in a pet shop and there is a law in Canada that says that all reptiles must come from a canadian breeder and must be born in Canadia. The pics on the link are very disturbing. How could someone do something like that???? It is sooooo cruel!!!!

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
those poor babies.

How can you breed them and not care that they get squished or die?

actionmanuk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
united kingdom
very very sad things that people will do just for money....the pictures are very sick and poor little tortoises to be put through that.......DISGUSTING !!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
janiedough said:
those poor babies.

How can you breed them and not care that they get squished or die?

I may be mistaken, but it was my thought that these were pictures of wild caught animals.

Yvonne

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
omg thats just wrong! never seen anything like it before.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
There's a good reason why you have those photos... they were illegal shipments and they were confescated as they should have been.

Wild caught tortoises serve a purpose... they provide a founding stock for the captive bred tortoises everyone seeks.

The wild caught trade should be regulated as it is in most countries but it would be foolish and short sighted to take it any further than that.

The prime reason these animals are vanishing is because of habitat destruction and overpopulation... not much we can do about either of these but with the proper planning and understanding we can set up breeding colonies that will ensure that we will be able to enjoy these animals now and in the future.

It is an important read but keep it in context. That is not how all wild caught tortoises are shipped. In fact that is most likely a very small portion of the trade as evident in the fact that same article has been circulating for that many years.

Ed

modestyfirst said:
Very very important read about how we decide to purchase tortoises and turtles. Please read!

Warning pictures maybe considered graphic to some!

http://www.socalreptiles.com/captivebred.htm

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Thank you Ed for saying the things I feel, but hadn't yet written in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.