Vet

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
Hey guys! So I am taking my tortoise to the vet today, no specific reason. I just wanted to get a check up and get familiar with our new exotic veterinarian. I had a quick question in regards to best way to transport them in the car?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First thing is a vet visit is not needed unless there is a real problem. Most vets do not have proper knowledge of tortoises care and many do more harm then good
Be sure to refer to the caresheet on this forum for proper care, diet, temps, humidity etc
A box, not to big, enough room it can move around a little with a few layers of paper towel or newspaper if that's even available any more lol. They tend to poop and/or pee a lot on car rides.

rachelraines

ALABAMA
one of the reasons I’m going is because he keeps messing with his eye. Originally, I thought it was the substrate so I switched over to orchid bark. His eyes seems clear and doesn’t seem to be runny but every time I take him to soak he’s always messing with it. So I did want to have someone check it out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What type of bulbs are you using?
Coil type can cause eye issues
Mercury, halogen and spot bulbs are to intense and may cause issues
Tube fluorescent for uvb, incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitters for heat are what should be used.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You may have a hard time finding one, they have been banned in the US. However,there are ones sold for reptiles that are still available. Be sure you get Flood bulb and not ones that say spot or basking. A 65w should be enough.