Violent Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
I really need some advice.
We have had two Greek torts for about one year now. We had them sexed on here (I know it's not an exact science) and thought we had one female and one male. They've been indoors for the winter and now our "female" is ramming into our "male" constantly. We heard this might be a mating thing so just let them get on with it for a day or two but our "male" is not interested so do we have 2 males?? I've had to separate them as I can't bear the constant bashing. Can 2 males live together? Our outdoor enclosure is lovely and big but indoors we just don't have the same room and I'm worried that we'll have to get rid of one of them. Please advise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jacqui:

I don't know anything about Greek tortoises, but if they're anything like Russians, yes, they can be brutal!

It will probably be better when you get them back outside in the bigger habitat, but in the house, I think you should keep them separated.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have many greeks - and keep the boys separated from the females. My males do not fight at all. My females don't bother each other when they are in their outside enclosures - but when I bring them in at night (during the winter) a couple of the females ram each other. It seems to be caused more by a smaller space. I usually just let them work it out - as long as there is no biting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have any greeks either, but pairs are sometimes difficult to maintain with many species. The closer they are to adulthood the more likely you are to see problems.

I'd keep them separated indoors and try to reintroduce them in the larger outdoor enclosure. I find it best to maintain groups of three or more or just individuals.

playingeet

5 Year Member
I have seen my female greek do this when inside for the winter, but once outside with room she was fine.

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
I've only ever seen my male bash into my female (despite being too young to mate, haha). They don't share an enclosure but I let them interact on the grass or the floor sometimes. My big girl lives by herself but my two little girls live together. There has been no competition there. If ever there is, they'll be separated too. Greeks are generally solitary in the wild. Even though our tendency as keepers is to have a "friend" for them.

How big are they? What size enclosure are you using inside?

GotTurtles

10 Year Member!
Fresno, Ca
I have a friend with greeks. One of her males has to be seperated almost always because he is a basher. He has broken his shell and the shells of other tortoises in the pen in the past with the constant bashing he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.