Virus supplies worldwide comparison

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
It would seem as though we are growing a slightly different strain here maybe.
They seem to be more and more tolerant of temperatures into the lower 50s.
This is speculative and it might take much longer for this to actually happen. But each Winter, fewer and fewer are dying.
They are breeding prolifically.
The ones you see are probably the great, great grand babies of ones sold as pets.
Nobody in their right mind would have actually purchased one since the late 1990s.
Most of the six footers died in the cool snap a few years ago. The larger ones seem to not be able to tolerate the cool months.
Now it's common to see orange/red males (A sign that he's the king of his territory) as small as 3' long.
They do make HORRIBLE pets.
But they are a possible source of protein if the stuff hits the fan!
In other places where they are found, they are eaten.
The local Haitian population in Florida calls them "Tree Chicken".
It was around 2003 or 2004 when I snapped the pictures. They were so big! Since they lived outside in the glades, I didn't have to help them. I hate to hear they're probably dead but...I still like the little anoles better.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Anoles here. I like getting them.
Yes they're so cute. Once, I was shopping at a Lowe's here after I moved back to Ohio. On a bromeliad in their garden center was a little darling anole. I wanted to bring the little one home so bad. I've seen them live safely with seed eating birds and I have some. I didn't have a way to safely catch and bring it home.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I do understand, I just have NEVER seen one in person.
I agree with ZEROPILOT...you don't understand...as a truck driver I made many pick ups and deliveries in Florida...
I'm a native Californian...this is my personal take on Florida...it is so humid, you need to take a shower after you take a shower...stores have visible large bugs climbing around the floor and on the grocery shelves...you WILL wake up in the middle of the night in a motel with lizards climbing around on you and the bed...possibly dropping on you from the ceiling, joining you in the shower and fighting you for your food...you will walk across the floor and crunch megagiant beettle bugs called chicadas (?) and they make loud noise until you think you will go insane...Florida has bigger spiders than Texas...bigger cockroaches...and don't even think about snakes...I like snakes...but the biggest snake I ever saw, zoo's...roadside attractions...or wildlife exhibits...the biggest snake I ever saw was under the truck next to mine and the next truck...and the third truck in a trk stop...Florida is it's own country...
absolutely not much insult meant... ?

KronksMom

Illinois
Well you've successfully convinced me that Florida is not the place for me. Lizards, snakes of any size, I'm in. Bugs...never mind. That's why I don't camp. I don't want any bugs in my house, it just seems rude to go hang out in their home.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well you've successfully convinced me that Florida is not the place for me. Lizards, snakes of any size, I'm in. Bugs...never mind. That's why I don't camp. I don't want any bugs in my house, it just seems rude to go hang out in their home.
I may have a tendency to exaggerate some...lol

KronksMom

Illinois
Story time...
I'm originally from Arizona. My father is not. Originally he's from Germany, but he moved to Chicago when he was 1, so we'll call him a Chicagoan. Well. My mother and my godmother gere sitting around the kitchen, in AZ, when they saw a sewer roach (or a wood roach to my southern mother) run from somewhere to under the kitchen table. The ladies made some noise, and my father came in to see "what all the racket was about." When he was told, he said, "Oh jeez, I got it," grabbed a KLEENEX and crawled under the kitchen table. My mother's chest swelled. Look at my man! so Brave! Going after that massive flying roach with nothing but a tissue! Until a second later, when he saw it, and he came wiggling back out as fast as he possibly could, screaming "What the hell is that thing?? That's not a roach! Get me a gun!"

My poor mother.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Story time...
I'm originally from Arizona. My father is not. Originally he's from Germany, but he moved to Chicago when he was 1, so we'll call him a Chicagoan. Well. My mother and my godmother gere sitting around the kitchen, in AZ, when they saw a sewer roach (or a wood roach to my southern mother) run from somewhere to under the kitchen table. The ladies made some noise, and my father came in to see "what all the racket was about." When he was told, he said, "Oh jeez, I got it," grabbed a KLEENEX and crawled under the kitchen table. My mother's chest swelled. Look at my man! so Brave! Going after that massive flying roach with nothing but a tissue! Until a second later, when he saw it, and he came wiggling back out as fast as he possibly could, screaming "What the hell is that thing?? That's not a roach! Get me a gun!"

My poor mother.
??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I agree with ZEROPILOT...you don't understand...as a truck driver I made many pick ups and deliveries in Florida...
I'm a native Californian...this is my personal take on Florida...it is so humid, you need to take a shower after you take a shower...stores have visible large bugs climbing around the floor and on the grocery shelves...you WILL wake up in the middle of the night in a motel with lizards climbing around on you and the bed...possibly dropping on you from the ceiling, joining you in the shower and fighting you for your food...you will walk across the floor and crunch megagiant beettle bugs called chicadas (?) and they make loud noise until you think you will go insane...Florida has bigger spiders than Texas...bigger cockroaches...and don't even think about snakes...I like snakes...but the biggest snake I ever saw, zoo's...roadside attractions...or wildlife exhibits...the biggest snake I ever saw was under the truck next to mine and the next truck...and the third truck in a trk stop...Florida is it's own country...
absolutely not much insult meant... ?
While I was living in Florida a tourist told me at a McDonald's that they had roaches. The only thing I could say was Florida has roaches. I didn't say they also can fly and some types are large. And just wait until a frog or toad tries to sit on your lap or an alligator decides s/he likes your swimming pool. That's not even mentioning snakes, lizards, spiders, and etc... But it really was beautiful after you become adjusted to it. It is a different lifestyle.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Story time...

My poor mother.
That's too funny!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
While I was living in Florida a tourist told me at a McDonald's that they had roaches. The only thing I could say was Florida has roaches. I didn't say they also can fly and some types are large. And just wait until a frog or toad tries to sit on your lap or an alligator decides s/he likes your swimming pool. That's not even mentioning snakes, lizards, spiders, and etc... But it really was beautiful after you become adjusted to it. It is a different lifestyle.
Most of the charm has worn off.
I dislike the beach, the ocean, the everglades, the heat, the rain or the people.
The animals are cool. But the novelty has worn out.
I'd sell this overpriced, undersized house tomorrow if my wife would go for it.
It's almost payed off and the market value is just stupid.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I dislike the beach, the ocean, the everglades, the heat, the rain or the people.

So how far South are you there in Florida? We have been actively searching in the Palm Coast / Flaggler Beach area and like it there. Far enough south that it feels like Florida, but not too yucky humid. Don’t scare me off! ???

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So how far South are you there in Florida? We have been actively searching in the Palm Coast / Flaggler Beach area and like it there. Far enough south that it feels like Florida, but not too yucky humid. Don’t scare me off! ???
Area code 33322.
Directly between the Everglades and Fort Lauderdale beach.
It's hot and steamy here.
Like the bathroom right after a shower.
I'm looking at property up north near Lake City.
Still in Florida. Closer to my mother and with a feeling of the south. Great for a retiree because there are no high paying jobs. Property is cheap, too.
It's funny. This far south, all you'll find are Yankees and Caribbean immigrants. All fine people. But I don't seem to fit in sometimes. And I still don't speak much Spanish or Creole despite a 6 year relationship with a Cuban girl.
It's almost like there are three Floridas.
Florida
South Florida
The Florida Keys

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes. It's a hard life in Florida. I miss the beautiful blue sky with neat looking clouds and the animals though. Even so I'm still enjoying it in Ohio. I have wildlife everyday but one day it's overcast and cold or rainy. Then the next even the weather man can't predict. I do get blue skies here and there.☺ sometimes a rainbow or two.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes. It's a hard life in Florida. I miss the beautiful blue sky with neat looking clouds and the animals though. Even so I'm still enjoying it in Ohio. I have wildlife everyday but one day it's overcast and cold or rainy. Then the next even the weather man can't predict. I do get blue skies here and there.☺ sometimes a rainbow or two.
Seasons would be nice.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Seasons would be nice.
A bit further north as you said you'd like would be a good move then. Like you, living in Ohio gets me closer to my family. I hate the cold winters and overcast skies but in some cases that just doesn't matter. They brighten some of my days.?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Now wait...are you saying you are not in Lancaster Calif??? Ohio? ha!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Now wait...are you saying you are not in Lancaster Calif??? Ohio? ha!
Yea...and there's 50 million lancasters. I was innocently sewing a mask for a biker and the dang global alias was staring me in the face. This is a couple of pictures from a small part of the fabric.

Attachments

• 1588988718621832849754.jpg
    1588988718621832849754.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 1588988922437-1373641435.jpg
    1588988922437-1373641435.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8