Vit a problem

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
Hi guys i ve this problem with my rf, even if i give them a lot of fruit (peches water melon ecc ecc) they are always low in vit A (yellow clear tongue) do you know what i can do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi guys i ve this problem with my rf, even if i give them a lot of fruit (peches water melon ecc ecc) they are always low in vit A (yellow clear tongue) do you know what i can do?
I was not aware that a "yellow clear tongue" indicated low vitamin A. Where did you get that information?

Is there some problem with the tortoises? Is the appetite, behavior, activity or health somehow demonstrating a problem?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most common symptom of low vitamin A is swollen shut eyes. Never heard of the yellow tongue thing. Does your tortoise exhibit any other symptoms? Have you been feeding yellow foods, like Dandelion?

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
my vet told me, the tongue its not really yellow, it has a less intense colour, the other symptom is that they have big armpit sac (vet told me that hipovitaminosis causes urate accomulation )

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
my vet told me, the tongue its not really yellow, it has a less intense colour, the other symptom is that they have big armpit sac (vet told me that hipovitaminosis causes urate accomulation )
Redfoot do not produce urates.
A lot of what you posted makes no sense to me.
Are you sure your vet knows what they're talking about?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
None of this makes any sense. Either you are recounting it incorrectly, or your vet has no idea what he/she is talking about.

1. Tongue color is not an indicator of anything that I am aware of.
2. Armpit sacs would be edema, and that has nothing to do with hypovitaminosis or urates.
3. Urates do not collect in the armpits. Urates collect in the bladder.
4. Everything tortoises eat is loaded with vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency is almost non-existent in tortoises. Vitamin A deficiency is sometimes seen in turtles, and most vets don't realize it has nothing to do with tortoises and mistakenly give them "vitamin injections".

I suspect you have come across a vet that does not know anything about tortoises.

I ask again: Is there some problem with the tortoise? Is appetite, activity level and behavior normal?

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
thanks you guys for the answer my vet is a breeder (elegans tortoise e radiata), my tortoise are very fine they reproduce, he told me that they could develop gout if i didnt provide more a vitamin, and now after the injection the armpit sac disappear...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, we're always open to learning new things, but I think I'm going to hold off learning that one until I know more about it.