Vita-Sol

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I've read that the 8-in-1 bird multi-vitamin is good for tortoises who are a little ill. Is this true? If so I want to try it with Domino. He's not breathing out of his mouth quite as much (well nearly never unless I pick him up and hold him examining him for too long), but his eyes are still puffy and closed.

He's also still not eating regular.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use it regularly when I soak my tortoises but it's a vitamin, it's not something that will help a sick tortoise. Has Terry given you advice and told you how to care for a sick tort? I don't usually interfere in the Redfoot section as I don't keep them. Terry is the expert to advise you on a sick Redfoot, I just wanted to give my 2 cents on the bird vitamins...

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I haven't heard from Terry, not that I recall anyway.

I did a search for puffy eyes, and a few places said that it would help... I don't know, but it's worth a try.. I feel I've tried tons else.

Thanks for your tip about the vitamins in regular soaks.
I hope to hear from some others.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
goReptiles said:
I've read that the 8-in-1 bird multi-vitamin is good for tortoises who are a little ill. Is this true? If so I want to try it with Domino. He's not breathing out of his mouth quite as much (well nearly never unless I pick him up and hold him examining him for too long), but his eyes are still puffy and closed.

He's also still not eating regular.

Vitamins may help strengthen the immune system, but they will not actually fight or heal anything, and any good multivitamin works fine- a crushed human tablet is probably the best quality, best value, and most effective version.

Puffy eyes, mouth breathing, no appetite- anything else for symptoms? (If you have described them elsewhere, forgive me-poor memory!) I would also appreciate a reminder of the temps, etc.

Puffy eyes in torts is usually not a vitamin A problem as it is in Box Turtles, but is it always good to make sure it is getting the vitamins and nutrients it needs. You can get eye drops for turtles that often help- although I would bet that most of the benefit is that it cleans and lubricates the eye.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought was respiratory infection.

M

Maggie Cummings

I did some research and discovered that he is already getting Baytril injections for a RI and is just not responding to them. I was hesitant to respond too much as I don't keep Redfoots and the treatment for a respiratory infection might be different. I would tell her to increase the temp in his tank for one thing...babyfood soaks would be another.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
He has antibiotic ointment for his eyes that aren't doing anything good.

He has finished two rounds of baytril, and doesn't seem to be breathing out of his mouth any more. He is still lethargic and has the swollen eyes, but other than that the mouth breathing is gone (unless I pick up him, examining him too long and he'll do it).

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I just finished writing an article for submission (I sent it to the Moderator's section for review) about RI.

It turns out there are 2 kinds of RI- upper and lower. Lower is actually pneumonia- mouth breathing, struggling to breathe, etc. It can be caused by literally dozens of bacteria, viruses, fungi, or bad husbandry issues. Baytril is effective against some of them.

Upper is characterized by the puffy eyes, and eye and/or nasal discharge. It is a LOT harder to treat- antibiotics do not kill the main germ involved.

Treatment consists of trying to reduce the main and secondary infections, eliminating pathogens in the environment, and boosting the immune system. Good nutrition (and vitamins) helps with this last bit.

Not to depress you or anything, but respiratory infections can be tough to fight and all too often we do not win. If you've done everything the vet can do for you, your next plan of attack should be in killing germs and basic nursing cares I believe we have discussed before.

If it is not eating well, I would sure try the baby food soak Maggie and/or Yvonne suggest. (Sorry, ladies, I cannot recall off-hand which of you most often advocates it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.