Brand new redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsegirlmaddy

5 Year Member
Hello! I just picked up my new red footed tortoise from a guy who couldnt keep him anymore. He's 12" long, 10" around the top of his carapace, and looks quite healthy. His tortoise table is roughly 8'x6' and has a heat lamp, UVB light strip, big hide, lots of rocks and branches, food and water dishes, a shallow wading pool, and a little "sand park". I have calcium and multi vitamin supplements for him. I'm planning on giving him a "garden" with lettuce seeds growing in it for him to munch on- is this a good idea? So basically, am I missing anything? What can go wrong, and what can I do to prevent it? Any and all info/tips would be appreciated :)

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Pics! The only thing I think you need to change is the sand. It can cause impaction. Thanks for sharing and we need pics!!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, pics are always very helpful....and how exciting for you...I too do not like sand in an indoor enclosure (some folks use a mixture of sand and soil like 30 % sand and 79% soil and like it) due to the increased impaction risk as well, sand does not move through the digestive system in the same fashion as sand, sand is heavier and does not flow the same--has a tendency to settle and then back up on itself ....

Status
Not open for further replies.