Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Nice size for a couple of Torts!

Those darn cats. You gotta protect the little dinosaurs. They could be around for more than 100 years.

Make a top with 1/2 x 1/2 or wider and hang the lamp with a chain or the lamp stand (zoomed). Even 2 screen tops with a gap for the lamp stand.

Undertank heaters are unnatural. Use the spotlight to warm up a piece of Flagstone stepping stone or slate.

Many pet shops will allow you to return newly purchased lamps for Store credit. I did.

Take your time with the setup.

Look for the thread that has the list of foods for Torts (Food and Diet).

nguindon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I love my cat but he doesn't listen to a darn word I say :p I'll make sure my tort is safe and sound, though! I'm going to pick up a flat chunk of flagstone and some small rocks asap for the basking area and decoration. That should help with the temp, and I'll also try to set something up like you said with the top, so that I can lower the lights.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
nguindon said:
Yeah, I love my cat but he doesn't listen to a darn word I say :p I'll make sure my tort is safe and sound, though! I'm going to pick up a flat chunk of flagstone and some small rocks asap for the basking area and decoration. That should help with the temp, and I'll also try to set something up like you said with the top, so that I can lower the lights.

What I have done in the past is build a top with part of it a solid surface (you can use a piece of plywood) so that you can either wire and mount a standard incandescent fixture to the inside of the top, or attach a hook to hang a dome lamp inside the enclosure. I've made tops like this by taking a piece of plywood the size of the opening and cutting out holes to screen for light fixtures. Depending on what kind/thickness of wood you use you may need to reinforce it to prevent warping. You could also make a simple wooden frame and screen most of it, and put a solid panel on the rest. Either way, it will keep the cat out and the heat lamp in. If you go with the hook and dome lamp you can suspend it on a chain so you can adjust the temperature by adjusting the height.

Anyway, keep us updated on your progress. My critters are telling me it's time for breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.