want opinion on a new substrate I'm using

C&J

Location (City and/or State)
ohio
Hello everyone,
I was misinformed about what substrate to use for my lil baby sulcate, Scute. So I go out today to get something better for her and in the middle of winter in Ohio you can't find crap to use!!!! But where I live we don't even have a pet store here or in any surrounding towns. So I went to Tractor supply or the farm and fleet but was unable to find anything yall are listing. So I started looking for any kind of soil that was untreated....Well the only kind of untreated soil I could find was Earthworm Castings.....100% organic. It is fine so I think it will be ok for her to burrow in and until I can order something else on line I think it will be ok.....What do ya'll think????

Southern California
Hello everyone,
I was misinformed about what substrate to use for my lil baby sulcate, Scute. So I go out today to get something better for her and in the middle of winter in Ohio you can't find crap to use!!!! But where I live we don't even have a pet store here or in any surrounding towns. So I went to Tractor supply or the farm and fleet but was unable to find anything yall are listing. So I started looking for any kind of soil that was untreated....Well the only kind of untreated soil I could find was Earthworm Castings.....100% organic. It is fine so I think it will be ok for her to burrow in and until I can order something else on line I think it will be ok.....What do ya'll think????
The best and easiest thing to do is probably just to order substrate online. LLL Reptile (http://www.lllreptile.com) is a good place to buy any reptile supplies. The shipping is relatively cheap and will save you stress and confusion in the long run. I would recommend also checking out the care forums, such as how to raise a healthy sulcata or leopard tortoise, version 2.0. It will give you really good overall information about caring for your baby. Best of luck! :)

Southern California
I buy my substrate from petmountain.com.
Yes, that is a good place, too. The only thing is, that I buy so much stuff from lllreptile that I rack up rewards points like crazy. If you do buy a lot, every $10 that you spend at lllreptile, you get $1 of reward points. That means that if you constantly get $80-$100 orders, you get $8-$10 dollars reward points in return. And, the rewards points can be put towards anything, including animals! I have enough to buy snakes, lizards, turtles, and whatnot.

Southern California
I have 2/3 of my enclosures zoomed coco fiber like you said, and then I have found that the best option for the other 1/3 is orchard bark. The orchard bark is good because as well as keeping the humidity, it also doesn't get the water and food incredibly dirty. I keep my food slates and water dishes on the side of the orchard bark to prevent them getting overly dirty. This is the bark I use: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/282-8-quart-bark-bedding . It is cheaper than the zoomed brand bags.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I have 2/3 of my enclosures zoomed coco fiber like you said, and then I have found that the best option for the other 1/3 is orchard bark. The orchard bark is good because as well as keeping the humidity, it also doesn't get the water and food incredibly dirty. I keep my food slates and water dishes on the side of the orchard bark to prevent them getting overly dirty. This is the bark I use: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/282-8-quart-bark-bedding . It is cheaper than the zoomed brand bags.

That's great info! Thanks, I'm going to try this next time I change out his substrate!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's great info! Thanks, I'm going to try this next time I change out his substrate!
You can get 24 quarts of repti-bark on Amazon for $12.97. That's 16 more quarts for just a little more plus free shipping. It's basically the same thing. I would say this is much cheaper than that LLL reptile deal

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482201040.498496.jpg

The 8 quarts is cheaper than LLLreptiles plus no shipping with prime.

Southern California
View attachment 195167

The 8 quarts is cheaper than LLLreptiles plus no shipping with prime.
Yeah, your right. I just buy so much from lllreptile that I actually save in shipping and I get lots of rewards points that can put towards anything. Lllreptile also has many things that I need that Amazon doesn't carry. But I will definitely check it out next time. Thank you!