Wanting a tortoise that will Grow big

Jtglack

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
I am wanting to get another tortoise that will one day grow really big. But I live in Colorado. What tortoise should I get?

Torta-geddon

Pueblo, Co
I own a sulcata and I live in Colorado. I think as long as you are willing to put the time, effort, and money required to plan for their future needs and space requirements having any species of tortoise isn't out of the question here in Colorado. What species of large tortoise would you like to get?

Jtglack

Colorado Springs
I own a sulcata and I live in Colorado. I think as long as you are willing to put the time, effort, and money required to plan for their future needs and space requirements having any species of tortoise isn't out of the question here in Colorado. What species of large tortoise would you like to get?
I was wanting a sulcata but don't they need like a back yard? And currently my back yard is freezing and would probably kill anything living back there.

Torta-geddon

Pueblo, Co
Having a yard is required. During the winter having a heated tortoise house and night box is required. There are a lot of plans and examples of both in the forum. There are several members that have sulcatas in much colder parts of the country and they seem to do alright. I've also seen posts where people house their sulcata indoors during winter. I haven't yet started building my sulcatas outdoor enclosure since he/she is still relatively small, but I'm already saving a little cash for the future build as well as other unexpected tortoise expenses.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am wanting to get another tortoise that will one day grow really big. But I live in Colorado. What tortoise should I get?
If your are willing to spend the time, money and effort to build a large (minimum 50x50 feet) heated enclosure where the floor stays 80 degrees minimum all year and there are heated warmer areas to go to during the day, then you can keep a sulcata anywhere. If you don't have a large heated area, it would be utter to stick to species that don't need as much space, and hibernate during your frozen winters.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When you say you want to get another tortoise do you already have one tortoise at the moment?
If so what species? Bear in mind that you shouldn't mix species or keep them in pairs - there are plenty of threads here about the stress and injuries that can be caused for torts by doing that. So they will need separate set ups/ Also the bigger the tort you get the more space you need inside and outside.
I have a leopard tort in the UK, he is only over a foot long but he has his own room in the house. My heating bills shot up because he doesn't hibernate and our summers aren't reliably very warm or dry so I have to provide heat and uvb etc all year around. Something you have to consider.
Have a look at the caresheets here for the species you are thinking of and see which best suits your circumstances.

Jtglack

Colorado Springs
When you say you want to get another tortoise do you already have one tortoise at the moment?
If so what species? Bear in mind that you shouldn't mix species or keep them in pairs - there are plenty of threads here about the stress and injuries that can be caused for torts by doing that. So they will need separate set ups/ Also the bigger the tort you get the more space you need inside and outside.
I have a leopard tort in the UK, he is only over a foot long but he has his own room in the house. My heating bills shot up because he doesn't hibernate and our summers aren't reliably very warm or dry so I have to provide heat and uvb etc all year around. Something you have to consider.
Have a look at the caresheets here for the species you are thinking of and see which best suits your circumstances.
Thanks I don't plan on keeping them together

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
If your are willing to spend the time, money and effort to build a large (minimum 50x50 feet) heated enclosure where the floor stays 80 degrees minimum all year and there are heated warmer areas to go to during the day, then you can keep a sulcata anywhere. If you don't have a large heated area, it would be utter to stick to species that don't need as much space, and hibernate during your frozen winters.

A heated box isn't enough for sulcatas? I am in central California and my tortoise definitely doesn't have a 50x50 space. I was under the impression that if they have a heated box to go into, they venture out during the day and use their box to warm up as necessary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A heated box isn't enough for sulcatas? I am in central California and my tortoise definitely doesn't have a 50x50 space. I was under the impression that if they have a heated box to go into, they venture out during the day and use their box to warm up as necessary.
The heated night box method works just fine in warmer areas like ours, where day time highs in the winter are usually 60s and 70s and sunny most of the time. It does not work for people like the OP who are in areas where it snows and everything is frozen for months of every year. A giant tortoise species can't be confined to a little heated box for months on end.

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
The heated night box method works just fine in warmer areas like ours, where day time highs in the winter are usually 60s and 70s and sunny most of the time. It does not work for people like the OP who are in areas where it snows and everything is frozen for months of every year. A giant tortoise species can't be confined to a little heated box for months on end.

Ah, gotcha! I was worried there for a minute. He seems to be doing great this winter. Sometimes I have to remind him to go warm up because he is so busy. Thanks for the reply!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Me and my girlfriend have always wanted a tortoise that will grow big because they are amazing
They certainly are amazing! I am enthralled by the aldabra, galapagos and even the sulcata because of the size of them.
BUT. It's to be able to provide what the particular species needs that is important, isn't it? And if you can't, looking at it from the now and the later, then it's the thing to do to pick something else that you CAN provide for and keep happy and healthy.:):tort: