Wanting to Buy/Adopt a Russian

lilly_sand99

Location (City and/or State)
Marshalltown IA
So I notice she seems to be drooling a lot... And I googled it and the 1st thing that came up was like tortoise herpes...?
And she also sleeps a lot and doesn't eat... are these all symptoms? Should I be concerned?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So I notice she seems to be drooling a lot... And I googled it and the 1st thing that came up was like tortoise herpes...?
And she also sleeps a lot and doesn't eat... are these all symptoms? Should I be concerned?

Drool? Or mucus? I can’t see on your photo.

Mucus (constantly rather than a one-off after a soak or drinking) and inactivity is a sign of a respiratory infection.

If this is mucus, you should get your tort to a Vet experienced with tortoises (general cat and dog vets are no good) and get your tort checked out. If it is a RI then a course of antibiotics is needed.

Double check your temperatures. No lower than 80F anywhere in the enclosure if you suspect your tort is sick.

Soak your tort in warm water for at least 30 minutes daily in warm water while not eating.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Respiratory infection is certainly a possibility. Bump up the heat (I’d go to eighty-five degrees) and soak her twice a day for as long as she will tolerate it. Keep the water warm.

And start looking for a good vet. This list is old but may help: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/iowa.29681/. Also call some local rescues and see if they have a recommendation. I found two rescue centers in Iowa pretty easily with Google. You need a good vet to have on hand anyway, even if she turns out not to have RI.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Respiratory infection is certainly a possibility. Bump up the heat (I’d go to eighty-five degrees) and soak her twice a day for as long as she will tolerate it. Keep the water warm.

And start looking for a good vet. This list is old but may help: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/iowa.29681/. Also call some local rescues and see if they have a recommendation. I found two rescue centers in Iowa pretty easily with Google. You need a good vet to have on hand anyway, even if she turns out not to have RI.
Lol she loves her bathes! She spreads out and falls asleep, she has her appointment with the vet i work with today at 3! I will let y all know how that goes...

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Urates. It's a type of waste tortoises deposit when they pee. Wet and slimy white substance means hydrated. Gritty, hardened, and clumpy means dehydrated.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Urates. It's a type of waste tortoises deposit when they pee. Wet and slimy white substance means hydrated. Gritty, hardened, and clumpy means dehydrated.
It looks slimy and clumpy, do you think it means she's slightly dehydrated? I just just thrilled she peed!!! She hasn't peed since a I got her!!!!!!
And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for a really quick reply! I am over the moon!!

Last edited:

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Keep up with the daily soakings. Tortoises will usually do their "business" during soakings unless they've done it earlier on the substrate.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It looks fine. If you really want to check, you can feel it. You’ll feel if it’s gritty.

Urates are actually related to the amount and type of food she’s taking in (there is an excellent explanation of this from member Markw84 if you want to see the entire thing). Basically, if she’s not eating, she may not be have any urates to pass.

So there is progress, even if it is slow.