Warm bedding?

yillt

Hi.
I have a small hutch which I am going to heat. Here it is (below) which bedding shall I use to keep it Warm in there. Coco coir or I noticed that @Tom uses blankets. Sorry if I got this wrong.

1452195209842.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Bella:

I doubt very much that you saw anyplace where Tom uses blankets. The only way blankets work is on a warm blooded animal, which a tortoise is not. You have to provide heat for a tortoise regardless what substrate you use.

yillt

Hi Bella:

I doubt very much that you saw anyplace where Tom uses blankets. The only way blankets work is on a warm blooded animal, which a tortoise is not. You have to provide heat for a tortoise regardless what substrate you use.
I am certainly using heat but I also want something cosy for him in the night. I'm sorry about the blankets but I remember seeing them somewhere I'm not sure where.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How will you be heating that? What species and size tortoise will be in it?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I am guessing you are thinking of 'pig blankets' - a livestock heating pad, not a blanket. I don't know of anyone using them with small species like yours though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am guessing you are thinking of 'pig blankets' - a livestock heating pad, not a blanket. I don't know of anyone using them with small species like yours though.

Oh, right Sarah. That didn't even occur to me. You're probably right.

Bella: a pig blanket is made out of either plastic or fiberglass and it has heat coils running through it:

upload_2016-1-7_15-44-1.jpeg