Warm room slapped together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Dimas, CA
It rained hard and got cold today. I came home to find my desert tortoise sitting at ther entrance to his 6 foot tunnel, looking miserable. I saw that his tunnel flooded and caved in. Seems the driveway drains right into his burrow. i let him into the garage for now. I needed to slap a warm room together for the young sulcatas. This is what I got done today useing lumber lying around the yard. hopefully I can finish it up tommrow and get power to it.
001-44.jpg

002-37.jpg

003-35.jpg

004-32.jpg

The roof will pop right off for easy access.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Cool box!!....hey, what are you going to do for the CDT? :p You going to make him a sleeping box for the winter toooooo :tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

Timmytort

5 Year Member
San Dimas High School football rules. Sorry I couldn't resist the most excellent Wild Stallions reference! Looks good

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
Not much got done today. Roofed the house and put a heater in the enclosure because its to cold for the torts. They came out of thier hole pretty quick once they felt the new warmth.
001-45.jpg

003-36.jpg

Im gonna make the cdt a wooden box pretty quickly, as I think he might be getting ready to take a nap again. Last year he napped about a month after I brought him home. He slept on the patio in an upside down plastic storage box. It was screwed to a piece of plywood with a door cut out. When he started his nap I taped the door shut and poured a bunch of shreaded paper over him.
001-43.jpg

This was his first house.
002-25.jpg

This was his second. i gave it to my son for his torts when mine dug that six foot hole.
001-28.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If that is slapping a warm room together, I would like to see what happens when you take your time!
I like the tunnel,what is it?
Nice.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
very cool.....it must be awesome to not have to worry about pooling water :D I like the tunnel too :p

Beautiful tortoises....:tort::tort:

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
Thanx guys. The tunnel is a plastic sewer pipe . I think its a 12 inch wide pipe. It was about 12 feet long when the guys next door gave it to me. They were building a school and seemed to be done when I asked for it. I was surprised when they said yes. It was very heavy. I cut it in half 2 ways and gave some to my son for his torts. It served as a house for my torts till it got to cold. So I removed the cap that I put on the end and made it into a tunnel to a warm dry home for the winter.

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
it warmed up and I let the little ones out.
007-27.jpg

009-26.jpg

Also had time to work on the new largewr enclosure to go with the new warm house.
010-26.jpg

My son brought his 2 torts over to stay for a while since its colder in Fontana and he has no warm set up yet.
011-20.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.