WARMER TEMPS CHECK-DON'T FORGET

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another members thread "DreadHeadMomma" gave me the idea to post this. As warmer weather will soon be approaching, DON't FORGET TO CHECK YOUR TORTS ENCLOSURE TEMPS AND ADJUST. Us members that live with cold snowy winters will soon be having the warm sun shining on us:D. DON'T FORGET to adjust the temps on your indoor enclosures if you are still going to be using them part time:D during summer months. Of course they should be outside for most of this nice sunny days, yes!:p As your house heats up from the sun, so will your torts enclosure. Just a friendly reminder:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DreadHeadMomma said:
If only you would have had this little idea about 6 hours ago :p

I know, I'm sorry:( I been keeping in my head to remember to check my own when temps start getting warmer. Then when I seen your thread, I thought it would be a good idea to share, just as a reminder. Next time, I will share quicker:D I am so glad though you caught it in time and he is fine. I am sure your not the only one it has happened to. Some of us have done the opposite. Forgot we were soaking them, and when we remembered, the water was cold:( Good thing they are tuff little guys.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am reposting this as the temps are for the most part getting hot. Want everyone to remember to check their indoor habitats temps as the weather gets warm/hot and your houses heat up. A tort can get over heated very fast if they can't get out of the heat. Either turn on your air-conditioning or turn off some of the MVB's or CHE's.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Central New York
wellington said:
I am reposting this as the temps are for the most part getting hot. Want everyone to remember to check their indoor habitats temps as the weather gets warm/hot and your houses heat up. A tort can get over heated very fast if they can't get out of the heat. Either turn on your air-conditioning or turn off some of the MVB's or CHE's.

Do you have some numbers for us to go by for the summer. Both for temps inside and outside?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
pinkpirate said:
wellington said:

Do you have some numbers for us to go by for the summer. Both for temps inside and outside?

I am not sure if I understand what your asking. However I am going to take a stab at it anyway. You want the temps of the indoor enclosure to be the same temp as it is now, through the winter months. However, with the heat outside, houses get really warm, which will also make the enclosure get warmer then normal. Unless you have your heat lights(mvb) and heat(Che) on a thermostat or reostat the temps will/could get to hot in the enclosure. So you may need to turn some stuff off. I turned off my MVB. I only use a CHE. My tort will get outside everyday or almost everyday during the summer months, so I don't need the artificial UVB. With the MVB off the temps stay as they have all winter. I will check it when temps stay up day and night and adjust again if needed. For my tort, if the outside temp is 70 and above, with no cool wind, I put him outside, as long as that 70+ temp is at his level. I have a leopard who is on,y 14 months. Larger torts and even other species, probably can take even a little cooler temps. Just always make sure there is shade. I also, on the very hot days, 90+ we had a couple last week, I sprayed some of his outdoor area with water from the hose to give him an even cooler area then just the shade should he want. This is what I am doing to make sure he doesn't over heat inside or outside. Hope this helps. Sorry it's so long. Didn't know how to explain with it being shorter:D

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Central New York
wellington said:
I am not sure if I understand what your asking. However I am going to take a stab at it anyway. You want the temps of the indoor enclosure to be the same temp as it is now, through the winter months. However, with the heat outside, houses get really warm, which will also make the enclosure get warmer then normal. Unless you have your heat lights(mvb) and heat(Che) on a thermostat or reostat the temps will/could get to hot in the enclosure. So you may need to turn some stuff off. I turned off my MVB. I only use a CHE. My tort will get outside everyday or almost everyday during the summer months, so I don't need the artificial UVB. With the MVB off the temps stay as they have all winter. I will check it when temps stay up day and night and adjust again if needed. For my tort, if the outside temp is 70 and above, with no cool wind, I put him outside, as long as that 70+ temp is at his level. I have a leopard who is on,y 14 months. Larger torts and even other species, probably can take even a little cooler temps. Just always make sure there is shade. I also, on the very hot days, 90+ we had a couple last week, I sprayed some of his outdoor area with water from the hose to give him an even cooler area then just the shade should he want. This is what I am doing to make sure he doesn't over heat inside or outside. Hope this helps. Sorry it's so long. Didn't know how to explain with it being shorter:D

Sorry for the confusion but you answered it perfect! I live in Central NY and with the humidity it can get very hot some days so I wanted to double check that he would be ok.

For now the temp is in the 60s in the morning so I keep him till the afternoon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Humidity does not affect reptiles the way it does us. Endotherms vs. ectotherms. High humidity makes us so hot because the more moisture there is in the air, the less effective our evaporative cooling system is. Reptiles do not have much of a cooling system. When they get hot, their cooling mechanism is to move out of the sun and get some where cooler. Humidity serves to keep them from dehydrating as fast, but for a reptile, the temperature is the temperature and humidity doesn't matter as far as how hot they feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.