Water Dish in Enclosure or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleanor

5 Year Member
4 month old Russian, with 15-20 minute soakings every 2-3 days, should I still provide a dish of water in the enclosure or not?
Cheers,
Eleanor

Eleanor

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! Very helpful. Wasn't sure since it's a desert tortoise. I will put some shallow water in.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Be careful were you place it in your enclosure. like not next to something in your enclosure that it could be climbing on and flip over into the water. I had one of my
hatchling red foots tip over in its water dish about a year ago just by luck I
happened to walk by and see it before it was to late.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good question!
As everyone says, put one in. Indoor enclosures tend to be drier than what torts find in the wild (those basking lights are a lot closer than the sun).
So even if the water evaporates and adds some humidity...

~Amanda~

5 Year Member
New Jersey
oscar said:
Be careful were you place it in your enclosure. like not next to something in your enclosure that it could be climbing on and flip over into the water. I had one of my hatchling red foots tip over in its water dish about a year ago just by luck I happened to walk by and see it before it was to late.

That's scary! Good thing you were there!

Jarhead

5 Year Member
Silly question :D,is it a luke-warm water or not?If yes,would it last during a whole day till we change it with a new one?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Jarhead said:
Silly question :D,is it a luke-warm water or not?If yes,would it last during a whole day till we change it with a new one?

I normally add room temp water and I have it just less then a half inch deep near my MVB some water will evaporate but for the most part there is always water the next day. I also use a terra cotter planting plate for a water dish

Status
Not open for further replies.