Water Dish Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, U.S.
Hello All,

I have a Greek that is about 4". I am using a plastic tupperware lid that is the perfect size for a watering dish, except she keeps flipping it over every few days. Does anyone have a suggestion on a heavier dish that will allow her to easily get in and out. I looked into the repti-ramp x-large water dish, but it was listed for $30.

Thanks,

Evan

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
A pan for a paint roller works good, as does a terra cotta flower pot bottom. You can silicone rocks in to make it easier to get in and out if need be.

Kristina

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have found the the plastic flower pot saucers work well, however, I put a layer of pebbles in the bottom to make them a little more shallow. Sometimes a small baby will tip over backwards back into the water when trying to climb out because without the pebbles the sides are too steep.

Yvonne

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I use paint roller pans made for trim work sized rollers. It is about 6" wide and 12" long. I put small rocks (bigger than their mouth) in the groove & a couple in the deeper end to weight it down. Pack their substrate tightly around it to keep them from crawling under it and to make it easier to climb out.
Good luck
Patsy

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I recently bought a terracotta saucer, I believe these are the clay ones.. And I wasn't too happy about it, the water doesn't hold in very well. It seems it sinks through it or just absorbs the water. If anyone has advice on one big enough for about 3"+ tortoise please do tell. I wasn't able to find ones that are glazed on or smaller plastic saucers..

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
SulcataDud3 said:
I recently bought a terracotta saucer, I believe these are the clay ones.. And I wasn't too happy about it, the water doesn't hold in very well. It seems it sinks through it or just absorbs the water. If anyone has advice on one big enough for about 3"+ tortoise please do tell. I wasn't able to find ones that are glazed on or smaller plastic saucers..

Hiya Evan ~

I'm not sure about in your area, but where I live, there are places where you can paint your own ceramics; they come out fired nicely and can be decorated as you wish ~ Also, there are clays that can be purchased in craft stores {Like Michaels} where you can actually design the dish as you like, bake it in your over and then you have your perfect design. They are not glazed tho, however, they are hard, and should not allow the water to seep thru as the terracota did.

Outside, I have a ceramic pie dish with rocks in the bottom for my torts that works quite well, as it is heavy and does not tip over.

Good luck with it, Bud!
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.