Water Dragon Care Help

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I rescued a water dragon yesterday and I need some advice on care since I’m not yet experienced with lizards in general. What do water dragons eat, how much and how often? Do they require high humidity? The person I rescued him from said he raised him indoors without UVB because he wasn’t informed until later and decided to give it to me. I have him with a basking spot of 115F and a T8 UVB bulb. I fed him a calcium with D3 dusted super worm. He’s still small. The setup is a 20gal aquarium. I know that’s “small”.. but that’s all I have for now. I’ll build him a large enclosure once he grows. I’ll send a photo of him, his enclosure, and I’ll weigh him when I get home. For now any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are an insectivore. Gut loaded crickets will do, but roaches are better. They need to eat every day and they do need the UV and warm tropical humid conditions. Look up "dubia" roaches if you are not familiar. I don't know where on "Earth" you are, but if its SoCal, I have a huge roach surplus that you are welcome to.

The main problem I always see with these guys is that they always damage their snouts on glass tank walls. The only way I've seen them kept without damaging the snout was in a tall, well-planted cage made of black vinyl coated wire. They need a well planted tall enclosure.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
They are an insectivore. Gut loaded crickets will do, but roaches are better. They need to eat every day and they do need the UV and warm tropical humid conditions. Look up "dubia" roaches if you are not familiar. I don't know where on "Earth" you are, but if its SoCal, I have a huge roach surplus that you are welcome to.

The main problem I always see with these guys is that they always damage their snouts on glass tank walls. The only way I've seen them kept without damaging the snout was in a tall, well-planted cage made of black vinyl coated wire. They need a well planted tall enclosure.

This is his current enclosure:
View attachment 237108View attachment 237109
View attachment 237110
I’m going to build him a tall wooden closed chamber soon.

For some reason he doesn’t close his mouth, is this normal? Here’s some pictures of his mouth and body:
View attachment 237114View attachment 237115

I sent you a message regarding the roaches.
Thanks, Dylan

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Pics aren't working.

Open mouth is most likely overheating or mouth injury.

Do you think the basking light over the slate rock is a bad idea? It’s a 65w flood bulb
IMG_2323.jpgIMG_2325.jpg

Here’s photos of his open mouth:
IMG_2326.jpgIMG_2327.jpg

He also has these golden-tan colored “bumps” popping out from both sides of his mouth. Not really sure what it is? Here’s a zoomed photo:
IMG_2328.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like he's got mouth rot happening. He needs vet care.

Warm temps and the correct conditions will also help.

Your set up looks good, but it needs to be much bigger and it needs a lot of plants. Lots and lots of plants.