Watery Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My 5 year old Sulcata female has watery eyes and when I feed her Mazuri she make a gasping sound every now and then, she doesn't gasp at any other time and she doesn't have a runny nose but I'm concerned she may have a respritory infection. What are the symptoms of an RI?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Runny eyes can be a symptom. Are they bubbling? One of mine had runny eyes last winter and had a RI. What temps are they in? Sometimes if you up the temps, they clear up. Also, when you feed the Mazuri are you moistening it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
More than likely you are keeping her too dry; that causes runny eyes. Usually a resp. infection shows itself as a bubbly nose. Do you moisten the Mazuri?

Yvonne

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I do moisten the mazuri when I give it to her, I give her mazuri every 2-3 days, spring mix with calcimax sprinkled on it every 2-3days and she grazes on the yard at her leisure. Temps are about 80-85 in the day and 65-70 at night. Eyes are just wet , no bubbling and she does not have a runny nose. She seems fine she has just has wet circles about 1/4" around her eyes and makes the gasping sound every now and the when eating mazuri.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
FGCinHB said:
My 5 year old Sulcata female has watery eyes and when I feed her Mazuri she make a gasping sound every now and then, she doesn't gasp at any other time and she doesn't have a runny nose but I'm concerned she may have a respritory infection. What are the symptoms of an RI?

gasping is a huge sighn, but a runny nose usually comes first. go to petco or petsmart and get TURTLE EYE DROPS(vitamin a) it should clear up the eyes. i used it for my hatchling that couldnt open his eyes and they opened up clearly after 4 days.

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, got home from vacation today and her eyes are watering more ( covering her cheeks) and she seems to be drooling and blowing bubbles out of her mouth but she does not have a runny nose. She is active and eating well but I'm going to take her to the vet tommorrow or monday. I'm in orange county and I'm planning to take her to Westminster Veterinary Group unless someone can refer someone else. Here's a picture of her from today

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Glad to hear that you are taking her to the vet. It is better to be safe than sorry..... Good luck and keep us posted.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What does she have for a hide? Does she have a large water dish she can soak in? I know my yearlings like to soak, and they love there humid hides. By the picture her nose looks clear, glad to hear you are having her checked out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.