Weather Question

Paul Runyon

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
I live in AZ. Lately, the weather has been in the 60's. By Thurs and Friday it is supposed to be in the 70's again. Since getting my hatchling a couple of days ago, I haven't had a chance to put it out in the sun yet. What is too cool for them? Could I take it out for a few with the weather in the 60's? I would think the 70's are good to go, but if not, please let me know! Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I live in Surprise, AZ (West Valley). I have a Sulcata hatchling.
Sulcata's and Leopards are a lot alike . And I've had my leopards inside for 2 weeks . And if you can be outside w/o a shirt and your comfortable then your tort should be happy but if you need a shirt then it's probably to cold for your tort .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are many variables here. The first step is to get an infrared temp gun and check surface temps. It its sunny, dry and 65+, your tortoise should be fine outside for an hour. Check the surface temp of whatever you are sunning them in and check the temp of their carapace.

I have large black cement mixing tubs for winter sunning. They can get over 100 degrees on a 60 degree day with no wind and mid day sun. Make sure your tortoise doesn't over heat either if you go this way.

Also be aware that UV levels are lower in winter, so mid day will have the strongest UV, while early morning or late afternoon sun, will have very little UV.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In addition to what's already been said, there are a few sheltered, sunny spots around your property. At my place, even on 40F degree days, I can find a nice, warm spot up against the house on the leeward side in the sun.