To cold for outside time??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
I live in Central New York and currently in is in the low to mid 60's in the morning. The sun is out and I know how important it is for my little guy to get sun but is it to cold for him?

I'm the afternoon it is only about 70 so I don't know if that is better.

I want him to have outside time I'm just not sure of what temps are ok

Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah:

If you locate your baby habitat in a sheltered area where it will get sun but no wind, then your temperatures are fine. I wouldn't leave him out at night, but if you put him out during the day it would be ok. The temperature reading might say 70F degrees, but in the sun in a sheltered area it will be much warmer than that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Yvonne is right. This is where a temp gun is very handy. Just point it at the area where you want to put your tortoise and it will tell you exactly how warm or cool it is.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Yep. Yvonne is right. This is where a temp gun is very handy. Just point it at the area where you want to put your tortoise and it will tell you exactly how warm or cool it is.

You can get a basic temp gun for $20 at most home improvement stores. Super handy to have around!

jason g.

5 Year Member
pugsandkids said:
You can get a basic temp gun for $20 at most home improvement stores. Super handy to have around!

I need to do this I do it the hillbilly way and sit on the ground if I catch a chill it's to cold for him. I get cold easy I worked in a foundry for quiet a while 130° temps all the time makes you sensitive to the cold. ; ) Lol

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Also, if there is gravel and/or basking rocks in his enclosure, these absorb warmth too, and that microclimate is much warmer.
Give him the sun!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.