Weed ID

Roksu

5 Year Member
So I'm trying to figure out what the weeds in my yard are. I only took pictures of one type of weed right now since I have about twenty of them growing in my backyard and wondering if they are safe. They kinda look like dandelion greens but I wanted to make sure before I started picking it.

IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
It looks like a thistle of some sort to me. Not a dandelion variety with which I am familiar...

Roksu

5 Year Member
Oops, so the stem isn't part of the plant in the first picture if that helps. It seems to be growing beside it and just leaned over

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Not sure about the second one, but I'm fairly sure the first one is dandelion.
Have you tasted dandelion?
If so break off a small piece of stem and see if the milky fluid is present, though it isn't always.
Then taste it, the flavour is characteristic.
Please be careful! I'm not sure about the second one so don't eat that!
Just a little taster of the first one should be ok, but wash and spit out with water, just in case!

Roksu

5 Year Member
I'll try to taste one but I took a leaf off both plants. The left one is from the first picture and the right one is from the second. the tip of the left leaf i accidentally ripped off

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'll try to taste one but I took a leaf off both plants. The left one is from the first picture and the right one is from the second. the tip of the left leaf i accidentally ripped off
They look like dandelion or similar, but I still wouldn't swear to it.
We have similar plants to this in Morocco, which tortoises eat with no ill effects, but these may be different plants that look the same, depends where your from. Some plants are widespread, others local, of course.
Sorry, but I can't help further than that.
Not much help am I?

Roksu

5 Year Member
They look like dandelion or similar, but I still wouldn't swear to it.
We have similar plants to this in Morocco, which tortoises eat with no ill effects, but these may be different plants that look the same, depends where your from. Some plants are widespread, others local, of course.
Sorry, but I can't help further than that.
Not much help am I?
You're a lot of help :) I wouldn't of realized the two plants were different if you hadn't said something. I live in Florida up near Alabama, I was worried there were plants that look like dandelion greens when they weren't

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's prickly lettuce.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
To me this looks more like a "hawkweed", or maybe a "hawksbit" - if so, both are edible. Better to wait for flowers and get a positive ID before feeding.

Roksu

5 Year Member
Thanks, if it is prickly lettuce is that edible?
Also I'll wait to see if any flowers sprout up, from the pictures I think its possible I have hawkbit around my yard, at least I know some type of weed has yellow flowers (its 6am right now and the sun isn't out yet but I can get a picture of them)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks, if it is prickly lettuce is that edible?
Also I'll wait to see if any flowers sprout up, from the pictures I think its possible I have hawkbit around my yard, at least I know some type of weed has yellow flowers (its 6am right now and the sun isn't out yet but I can get a picture of them)
If it's prickly lettuce, and I'm still not sure, it's edible.

Roksu

5 Year Member
Sorry If im not suppose to be using the same thread (didn't want to make another one when I had this one)
Just decided to check to see if they grew flowers and like 20 more popped up ..We are terrible at keeping our yard trimmed
They have yellow/orange flowers growing now..also I'm wondering what this grass is I think we have saint Augustine but I'm not certain we do have two types of grass though..is all grass safe for tortoises

Theres a picture of a weed that has the flowers growing, the grass, and theres another weed pictured..

IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0026.JPG