Weeds I.D please.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Just saw this! Sorry, no idea. Hope someone else will see this and help???

Meanwhile, don't give it to your tort, because you don't know yet.

turtlelog

northeast texas
Looks like spear thistle. It is safe to feed. There is an app called: Picture This and is very helpful. You simply take a pic and it matches it. Then you can Google the name and see if it is safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that's horseweed. It's not edible, and if you don't dig it up by the roots and discard, you will have fifty million of them next year!!

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I don't think it's a spear or a horse weed. Spikes arnt as big as spear and are too big for horseweed which has smoother edges. I've seen this stuff before. Usually those little black ants like it. Has a white sap? And kinda sticky? Don't know what it is though.. I wouldn't feed it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man! I should never try to answer these questions when reading the Forum on my Kindle (small screen). Of course that's NOT horseweed!!!! It's groundsel - not edible. Sorry for the wrong answer up above.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Looks like spear thistle. It is safe to feed. There is an app called: Picture This and is very helpful. You simply take a pic and it matches it. Then you can Google the name and see if it is safe.
Thank you for the app info. I have the garden answer one but it couldn't identify it. Or there were too many close matches. Lol can't remember now which one it was.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh man! I should never try to answer these questions when reading the Forum on my Kindle (small screen). Of course that's NOT horseweed!!!! It's groundsel - not edible. Sorry for the wrong answer up above.
Cool. No problem. Will discard it. Luckily it is in a pot at the back of my house so nowhere near where the tortoises are. The biggest problem I find when trying to identify weeds is that so many of them look soooo similar. It's really confusing.