Weighing my choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfwinged1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio,TX
Well my last time out with 2 hatchling
(1red1yellow) did not end well:( Iam really leaning towards a herman or greek tort. Would I have as many issues getting a Mediterranean as a hatchling as I did with the red and yellow?
I followed every step from soaking daily, calcium, correct food, humidity levels , basking area, cooler area, etc. Bubbles did dye due to her being on her back while we were at work how can one prevent that? They were on sphagnum moss.
Thanks for your knowledge:)
Carlos

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Dying from flipping is not something that can be easily prevented. It's not like anything wrong was done which you can try and correct, while adults don't flip over as much it can still happen, nothing wrong though with getting an older :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go with your gut. I don't think a Mediterranean tortoise is any harder or easier to care for than a redfoot in most situations, but if you are wanting to try something else, I say go for it. I like the Herman's, myself.

expo tort

5 Year Member
WARNING I CANNOT be objective on this topic. HERMANNS!! HERMANNS!!! HERMANNS!!!!! :D

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
I just got my first two CH Redfoots, and the only hesitation I've had was considering getting slightly older/more developed torts. I just have anxiety over doing something irreparable while they're this young. It may never happen, but if I had it to do over again I think I may have gone with 3-5 year olds if available.

expo tort

5 Year Member
ThatDamnSasquatch said:
I just got my first two CH Redfoots, and the only hesitation I've had was considering getting slightly older/more developed torts. I just have anxiety over doing something irreparable while they're this young. It may never happen, but if I had it to do over again I think I may have gone with 3-5 year olds if available.

Thats what I'm paranoid about too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like the great testudo war is about to start, anyone who says anything different than russians is wrong.

expo tort

5 Year Member
The dangers of arguing with a mod. Hmmmmmm. It's worth it. HERMANNS are the ONLY way to go they have way more personality than Russians and Greeks. Also besides golden Greeks they're colors are way brighter. Golden Greeks are more expensive than an average hermanns.

cfwinged1

5 Year Member
San Antonio,TX
Thanks for the advice. I'm done with the outside cage and the tank inside so now I just need to make up my mind!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have any that you are considering. However, if I had to do it over again, I would not have bought a hatchling. Although I have not had any problems at all, I would still get an older one. Less worry in my opinion. However, I know more now, so if I would to buy a hatchling, I would make sure it was from a knowledgable breeder that started them out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.