Weighing your tortoise

Mavrik

Does anyone have any recommendations on where one could pick up a reliable scale to measure the weight of my torts, without breaking the bank?

I have looked at many of the stores in the area, but the ones that I've found run on the pricey side (I'm talking 50$ or higher) -- so I'm wondering if there is a better place to find one for cheaper.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
How big are your animals?

ShannonC

South Carolina
I bought mine for $19 at Wal Mart in the kitchen section. They had some even cheaper, but I liked this one best.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I bought a Hamilton Beach kitchen scale that handles up to 5 kg. I've had it about 2 to 3 years and it seems to work fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine is also from Walmart. I have to weigh my big girls upside down though, because their feet touch the table otherwise. It was less than $20 and goes from Ounces to Grams with the flick of a switch.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Yep. I flip my "Little Pig" over to weight him. Otherwise I will never able to have him stay on the scale long enough.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I have purchased a few from http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/buy-my-weigh-scales.html. Look for one that will cover the maximum expected weight with your anticipated average weight in the middle of the scale's range and the most precision possible, price considered. I use this http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-kd7000-black.html
for most of my smaller torts like adult cherry heads, elongates, forstens and others over 1 - 3 kg and this http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-ibalance-500.html for hatchlings and younger torts of the same species. I have also picked up a couple of the digital scales from Harbor Freight in appropriate ranges/precisions which work well for inexpensive scales (or even give-aways).

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I think you need a bigger scale! I have a hanging scale that registers to 150 lbs in 1 g increments used for the M.e. phayrei and other beasts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine is also from Walmart. I have to weigh my big girls upside down though, because their feet touch the table otherwise. It was less than $20 and goes from Ounces to Grams with the flick of a switch.

Yep. I flip my "Little Pig" over to weight him. Otherwise I will never able to have him stay on the scale long enough.

You guys can simply put a large enough tub on the scale and zero it, or use a cup of some sort to "high center" the tortoise. Place the cup on the scale and the tortoises carapace on the cup. The cup must be tall enough for the tortoises legs not to reach the bottom.

No need to flip them over.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
You guys can simply put a large enough tub on the scale and zero it, or use a cup of some sort to "high center" the tortoise. Place the cup on the scale and the tortoises carapace on the cup. The cup must be tall enough for the tortoises legs not to reach the bottom.

No need to flip them over.

Yes Tom! !!

I did it few times like that. Some time I just getting lazy or no around that canister. :oops::oops:

001 (1).JPG 001 (2).JPG