Weight fluctuation. What is normal?

Kori5

Hello! :). Merry Christmas to everyone who is celebrating. I hope someone experienced will give me a review. I have a Hermann 20 yrs old. He had a vet check and fecal done, worms were present so he was wormed twice with panacur 2 weeks apart. I weight him on regular basis. 1.10.-668 g 13.11-682 g. Before worming and didn't poop for a few days. 5.12.-685 g 14.12.- 672 g 23.12.-671 g and today 660. So I was really upset because he eats well, is very active and looks great. His weigh is steady except the November one and I honestly dont't know how could he put on so much. He wasn't eating a lot then and wasn't active. Now he eats more but is less active. Could deworming cause weight loss?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Because a tortoise stores fluids, it's hard to get an exact weight each time. Try to weigh the tortoise in the same circumstances, for example after he has pee's and pooped. He will be lighter then. Once he starts to store water, a lot of that weight gain is water.

Kori5

Hmm interesting. On 23th I did weight him in the morning before pooping and peeing and today he has done all that so maybe that's why we is lighter. I know I shouldn't worry about 10 g.