Weights of Toothless & Jett

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vallejo, CA
IMG_0326.PNGIMG_1308.jpgHello; just got my digital bathroom scale a new battery and I weighed my two Aldabras by weighing myself first and then holding each tortoise. According to Toothless' last owner he was 25lb when shipped to me on 8-16-13; today she(very shy, skittish) weighs about 28.5 lbs. That's 3.5 lbs in 3.5 months. Using the same method Jett weighs slightly less than 21 lbs. I weighed both of them numerous times and of course each time is slightly different. They're both between 3-4 years old or so I was told. I didn't have a starting weight on Jett. Both have very healthy appetites but Jett is far more deliberate and always defers to Toothless when they're fed together(I quit doing that though). Just wondering how these weights compare to others their age and size. Jett seemed much lighter when I first got him from Chris @ ToucanJungle so I think he's gained. Toothless of course has gained cause she bellies up to the smorgasbord without hesitation. Anyone have any thoughts on rate of gain or size? Oh forgot to add that Toothless was also one of Chris' imports by way of the person who acquired him from Chris. One more thing: they both have huge growth lines compared to Aldabraman's herd.

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think you need to go to a feed store and get one of those large scales with a sling thingy. You're gonna need it soon. Beautiful tortoises you've got there! What made you get these animals? Plan to breed them?

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
IMG_1312.jpgIMG_1307.jpg
sibi said:
I think you need to go to a feed store and get one of those large scales with a sling thingy. You're gonna need it soon. Beautiful tortoises you've got there! What made you get these animals? Plan to breed them?

Yeah I was thinking I should have a better scale; I'll go look today at the feed store here in town. I already had large(65lb, 85 lb) Sulcatas, male&female when I discovered the Aldabras and was totally smitten with their looks and personalities. Just a very unique animal. Yes I'd like to breed them if I live that long; I'm 57 and the tortoises won't be breed able for, well, you do the math. Probably a pipe dream but hey, that's me.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
marty4dive said:
Just wondering how these weights compare to others their age

* That is higher than we see at our place. Our average four year olds are typically arund the 12" range and 20 pounds.

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
image.jpg
ALDABRAMAN said:
marty4dive said:

* That is higher than we see at our place. Our average four year olds are typically arund the 12" range and 20 pounds.

Thanks Greg but why is that? I'm assuming it's because my animals are more nutritionally supplemented than your herd. My two animals also have access to natural grazing but not to the degree yours do. Also what would be considered too rapid growth and what are the health implications? When you consider that in evolutionary terms these animals are hard-wired with huge appetites and naturally grow more rapidly than all other tortoise breeds except Galaps. I'm not interested n intellectualizing this subject; just want to protect my animal's health.Marty

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
marty4dive said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
marty4dive said:

Thanks Greg but why is that?

* My thoughts would be that they eat a richer diet resulting with faster growth.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Love those pachyderm-like legs! :heart::heart:
Your Aldabras are gorgeous!!!

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
IMG_0329.JPG
AnnV said:
Love those pachyderm-like legs! :heart::heart:
Your Aldabras are gorgeous!!!

Thank you; it's easy to see why tortoise lovers are totally attracted to these beasts, isn't it? Marty

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
ALDABRAMAN said:
marty4dive said:
it's easy to see why tortoise lovers are totally attracted to these beasts

* Guilty!

Greg do you have any opinions or direct knowledge re: rapid growth and the health implications thereof? I haven't been able to find any good information on this "weighty" subject. Marty