Weird Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cplax6

5 Year Member
So I got this weird Idea today, would it be possible to raise a Sulcata and a blue and gold macaw in the same indoor enclosure? I going to be building my own and thought that since Sulcata's require a large roaming area why not enclose the whole thing and keep a bird too? Any ideas would be much appreciated. I'm going with a 4'x8' footprint for the enclosure

Thanks!

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Not sure if they can coexist... But my parrots are all pretty aggressive towards other animals in And around there cage be it.. Another parrot or even a dog...my parrots routinely come down off there perch and go after my dog...not to mention the droppings from the birds...

Also something to consider a lg parrot could probably really hurt a tortoise..

cplax6

5 Year Member
Fair enough. I was thinking larger birds but I would have gotten that later when the tortoise was older (and bigger). but the droppings... you think that they would hurt the tortoise? I'll be honest I don't know much about birds... only that the ones I have seen and interacted with have been extremely friendly

cplax6

5 Year Member
Since birds seem to be a bad idea, what else CAN coexist with my Sulcata?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
cplax6 said:
Fair enough. I was thinking larger birds but I would have gotten that later when the tortoise was older (and bigger). but the droppings... you think that they would hurt the tortoise? I'll be honest I don't know much about birds... only that the ones I have seen and interacted with have been extremely friendly

Mine are all pretty tame... But they are territorial especially of there cage after a few month... I had a lg walkin enclosure... I could only put one bird in at a time otherwise feathers would fly... And if I entered the enclosure with my dog..my greenwing would leave his perch, climb down.. Spread his wings and attack my rottie..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Birds are a definite no go, since they are so messy and potentially dangerous.

I recommend against mixed species enclosures. There is just no way around the dangers of disease, parasites and possible aggression.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I also say no. The droppings are problematic, and on top of that, I have actually had to pull a bird feather out of a tortoise's throat before... Not pleasant, for me or the tortoise. They will taste anything they can get in their mouths, and that could be very very bad.

I have also been bitten by a blue and gold... again, not pleasant, lol.

Just too risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.