Weird Russian behavior

Tort1419

Hi all, I think and hope my Russian tort is ok but I must be sure. He has been acting kind of strange lately.

For the past few months my tort has lived indoors( outdoor enclosure being built) And he has exhibited normal behavior.

Then one day I noticed he never woke up. I opened his hide and pulled him out. His claw got stuck on the wall. I use scissors to cut him and out and left him alone to relieve stress.

I figured if he acted weird for the next couple of days it would be expected. It's been a week and a half and he has been lazy. Today he didn't even come out from under his ramp. I woke him up and did a health check. His eyes are fine and so are his limbs. I put him next to the food and he ate. I soaked him recently and the humidity is around 60. No watery discharge. I turned him over and noticed some abrasion spots. I highly doubt that it is shell rot (tommorow I'll as pics). Also on the top of the shell there are some abrasion spots that are white. If I put water on the spots the go away for 30 minutes them come back. I even upped the temps. What do I do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would do a look over of the enclosure. There is possibly something that has made the marks. He possibly is afraid of getting stuck again too. Hard to say what he may have gone through to try and get himself free. Check everything out. Make it safe so he can't get caught again and try to find what is putting the marks on him. Then, I would change things up, kinda cool him into thinking its a new enclosure and the old one with that thing that he got caught on his gone. Just guessing here, but that's what I would do.

Tort1419

Ok thanks, he's had the white marks on top before they just seem to come and go, thanks for your advice

Tort1419

The white is gone his shell, but now I had a new problem. He is up and active now but in a weird way. If I put food that he isn't too fond of, or put food a little later than usual he will try and climb the walls. Do I consider this as stress, or just him looking around for more food?
Also he has started to jump down his second story quite often image.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Sounds like he's restless. Have you put him outside in his enclosure out there? Sometimes once they know there's a big world out there they're not satisfied with their little indoor enclosure anymore.