Red rash on Sulcata.. Help..

ninja-tortise

5 Year Member
I have a 2 yr old Sulcata, as I was cleaning out his enclosure and checking him over, I noticed a red rash on his armpits, legs, neck area. Basically on the skin portion of his "arms" and neck.

He has a primarily sand enclosure. I'm wondering since it has been very moist outside ( as they are kept outside) that maybe it's a rubbing rash/ abrasion from the sand...
Any help would be great!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
most likely it is the sand doing it. it's hard for me to tell from the pictures but is the red areas where his legs and stuff would be when he's laying down in the Sand?

ninja-tortise

5 Year Member
most likely it is the sand doing it. it's hard for me to tell from the pictures but is the red areas where his legs and stuff would be when he's laying down in the Sand?
Yes,the reddened areas are in spots that would rub against the shell, which I could see creating friction.
I'm worried it would be something more serious, as he has never had an issue like this before. He has been in this same enclosure for about 7 months.

Last edited:

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
definitely sounds like sand irritation to me can you get rid of it?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
the sand of course. :) get rid of this and the redness will disappear

ninja-tortise

5 Year Member
We are making changes to the enclosure to add a larger grass area.
Thank you for your help! :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Definitely get the sand out of there. I would keep those areas really clean until they heal. Some antibiotic cream would be a good idea in my opinion.

ninja-tortise

5 Year Member
Definitely get the sand out of there. I would keep those areas really clean until they heal. Some antibiotic cream would be a good idea in my opinion.
The antibiotic cream, would I need an RX or is this something that it OTC?

Keith D.

Arizona
You can use some EVCO on the area a couple times but no more then that especially on the skin due to its SPF properties.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sand can be very abrasive. The areas you are showing could easily get sand in the cracks and cervices, and as he moves rub off the skin.

ninja-tortise

5 Year Member
We originally had them on a mulch bedding, but as they got bigger we moved them to a temporary but bigger enclosure. As well as moving them
Outside, the mulch ( we are in S.FL) kept getting these little bugs in it every few days, so we stopped using the mulch approach. We were told to do part sand and an 'island' area of grass.
What would be a more ideal and less abrasive bedding?

* there is A LOT of contradicting information that I've been reading( not on here, but in general). So real advice is much needed*

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We originally had them on a mulch bedding, but as they got bigger we moved them to a temporary but bigger enclosure. As well as moving them
Outside, the mulch ( we are in S.FL) kept getting these little bugs in it every few days, so we stopped using the mulch approach. We were told to do part sand and an 'island' area of grass.
What would be a more ideal and less abrasive bedding?

* there is A LOT of contradicting information that I've been reading( not on here, but in general). So real advice is much needed*
Sorry and very sorry to have to say this: you are going to have to hear/read contradicting info time and once again, as this is NOT mathematics where:

1+1 =2. Things are not as clear as that, therefore allowing two persons to disagree.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is confusing and frustrating. I use coco coir, and coco husk for my Leopards. My outside enclosures for the most part are just native soil.

ninja-tortise

5 Year Member
Sorry and very sorry to have to say this: you are going to have to hear/read contradicting info time and once again, as this is NOT mathematics where:

1+1 =2. Things are not as clear as that, therefore allowing two persons to disagree.

Yes, I understand that people's opinions differe. But that wasn't exactly where I was going with my question...

My only concern is to care for my tortoise as best as I can. Which is also why I have reached out to other people who may have had better success with other methods/products regarding Sulcatas.