Weird spots..

Emily Deshar

So my girl has these only on her plastron.. When I soak her they disappear and I'll use a soft tooth brush to help brush them off. And they are not there after I take her out, but once she dries, they come back. Someone had told me it was shell rot so I got antifungal cream and put that on her for 10 days and nothing changed.. it has been white for a while, has not turned brown. It is not soft to the touch and like I said it comes off after soaks. Could it be because I use hard water? We have a water softener and we just moved into our house so I was going to see if I can figure it out to see if we use soft water, if it will go away for good. Her legs and head also have white on them that makes her look dry, but she isn't. She drinks and soaks every day and has high humidity. Thanks in advance!

20170910_181021.jpg 20170910_214638.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It doesn't look like shell rot, but I'm at a loss to say what it is, sorry.

Emily Deshar

It doesn't look like shell rot, but I'm at a loss to say what it is, sorry.
Thank you. Yes I can't figure it out. I will be looking at water softener tonight and see if that will help them go away. Didn't know if it was possibly dry calcium build up? I'm not sure..

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
Is it possible it is wear from friction on some solid substrate in habitat? Even dirt causes wear;). After re reading post perhaps not wear however that will happen in time.