This isn't shell rot is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosey

5 Year Member
Rosey the redfoot has some spots on her plastron, they are not soft but they are flaking off. This isn't shell rot is it? When I scratch it with my fingernail it comes off, but its not soft. Could she be growing or is something wrong, I am just worried about my Rosey.

Attachments

• IMG_20110323_224720.jpg
    IMG_20110323_224720.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20110323_224753.jpg
    IMG_20110323_224753.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 100

LindaF

5 Year Member
That is how it looked on my RF I am sad to say. On a positive note it cleared right up with clotrimazole 1% cream.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Yes, I agree ... mine looked the same too. I used betadine, but it didn't work. Finally I used the clotrimazole and it cleared right up! :)

Rosey

5 Year Member
I am going to start treatment today. She had this spot when I got her and its just got a little worse and flaky. Thanks for the advice everyone. I LOVE this forum!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Yup shell rot. Seems like most come with it.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
mine has the same thing and i am using clotrimazole 1% cream, just started it yesterday

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
That is a form of shell rot. It is a very early stage and may clear up nicely just getting it nice and dry again and killing any active growths with Betadine or providone iodine solution. Do not use this for more than a couple days since it kills new cells too.

If it does not stop getting soft really soon, I would use a topical antifungal cream- stuff sold for human feet is fine. If I saw black pitting or it had a bad smell, I would treat it for bacterial infections with triple antibiotic ointment.

My own experience is that I get this mostly from wet mosses- I do not seem to get it when I use cypress mulch or bioactive substrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.