Is this shell rot?

iPinkMink

I recently adopted a small redfoot from a local breeder. She said they were around 5 months old or so. They lived in an outdoor enclosure. She didn't give me much info about what she fed them. I thought her shell was just dirty at first but now I'm worried there's something wrong. Is this shell rot?

image.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Shell fungus or rot. Keep the top layer of substrate dry. They need high humidity but not to live on wet substrate. You need to wet the bottom substrate not top. This can be done by pour warm water into the corners or along the sides. Don't pour so much that it soaks all the way to the top. For now you can put some anti fungal cream on the spots and keep the area dry.

iPinkMink

We have her on cypress mulch, the humidity ranges from 50% under her basking lamp and to the 70-80s in her hides with Spanish moss. The top is dry to touch. It's about 95F under her basking lamp and 74F in the cool side of the tank. I'll pick up from anti-fungal today. Thank you for the advice. How long should it take to resolve? How often should I apply it?

NDevon

North Devon, UK
We have her on cypress mulch, the humidity ranges from 50% under her basking lamp and to the 70-80s in her hides with Spanish moss.

The advice is usually to never let humidity drop below 80% so I would say that's too low. Is she in a sealed enclosure or some kind of open top table?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Easy fix, don't worry. Wellington is correct just use some athletes foot cream and keep him dry until it's gone. I would be careful with the Spanish moss.

iPinkMink

She's in a tank right now with a screen top with some plastic wrap to try and keep the humidity in. But we are planning on getting some plastic or glass for a lid this weekend. I can try using a spray bottle more often to keep the humidity higher.

Is 74F too cool? I could add some heat rope or a CHE to the cooler side to bump it higher. Most of the tank is in the 80s, which she seems to prefer. She rarely goes under the basking lamp, and I often find her buried under the substrate which is cooler as well.

what's wrong with the Spanish moss? I can grab something else.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I haven't had good experience with the moss. Causes shell rot and keeps too much moisture. The overall temps for the tort should be around 79-82F. Heat from the bottom generally translates to increase in humidity. I don't keep mine inside since I am in Florida, so ask keepers in your area what they do to keep the right environment.

iPinkMink

Okay, I will keep that in mind about the moss. Maybe I can pick up something else tomorrow from the reptile store. We've only had her for 2 days -- she came with whatever is on the bottom of the shell. I consulted with our vet, and he said without looking at it under a microscope, hard to tell if it is bacterial or fungal. He advised to use Neosporin and the anti-fungal and if it doesn't clear up in a week to bring her in.

I repositioned the light, her "cool" end is now 79F and the basking spot is about 92F with a 100 watt bulb. I tried a 150 watt bulb and the temp got to be 107-109F under the light so I figured that was much too hot. I don't have a stand to lift the light right now, so I figured a bit cooler was better than too hot. I'm hoping the closed chamber modifications are enough to keep it warm enough without needing to raise the lamp up.

I appreciate all the advice. She is eating very well (prefers hibiscus flowers the most, has eaten a bit of the hibiscus leaves and spring mix. I have the mazuri diet being delivered tomorrow. Tomorrow I plan to try some berries. She is very friendly, seems to enjoy us rubbing her head and shell. Her name is Bubbles (daughter named her lol). I guess I'll place an order for some heat rope as well to help with the humidity.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Where are you? What state/country? It will be easier to point you to other keepers in your area.

iPinkMink

South Florida. I would put her outside but we don't have a yard. Hopefully in a year or so we will be able to move her outside.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I haven't had good experience with the moss. Causes shell rot and keeps too much moisture. The overall temps for the tort should be around 79-82F. Heat from the bottom generally translates to increase in humidity. I don't keep mine inside since I am in Florida, so ask keepers in your area what they do to keep the right environment.
Do you mean Spanish moss or spaghnum moss in general?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Okay, I will keep that in mind about the moss. Maybe I can pick up something else tomorrow from the reptile store. We've only had her for 2 days -- she came with whatever is on the bottom of the shell. I consulted with our vet, and he said without looking at it under a microscope, hard to tell if it is bacterial or fungal. He advised to use Neosporin and the anti-fungal and if it doesn't clear up in a week to bring her in.

I repositioned the light, her "cool" end is now 79F and the basking spot is about 92F with a 100 watt bulb. I tried a 150 watt bulb and the temp got to be 107-109F under the light so I figured that was much too hot. I don't have a stand to lift the light right now, so I figured a bit cooler was better than too hot. I'm hoping the closed chamber modifications are enough to keep it warm enough without needing to raise the lamp up.

I appreciate all the advice. She is eating very well (prefers hibiscus flowers the most, has eaten a bit of the hibiscus leaves and spring mix. I have the mazuri diet being delivered tomorrow. Tomorrow I plan to try some berries. She is very friendly, seems to enjoy us rubbing her head and shell. Her name is Bubbles (daughter named her lol). I guess I'll place an order for some heat rope as well to help with the humidity.
Was this a type over. Did you mean 82f and not 92f?

iPinkMink

Anyfoot, I played with the light positioning some more (moved it a bit closer to the center). The cool end was of her tank was 81F when I shut off her light for the evening, and the spot under the bulb was 92F. The humidity is in the 80s-90s after sealing the screen lid better with plastic. Is this okay?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Anyfoot, I played with the light positioning some more (moved it a bit closer to the center). The cool end was of her tank was 81F when I shut off her light for the evening, and the spot under the bulb was 92F. The humidity is in the 80s-90s after sealing the screen lid better with plastic. Is this okay?
There are many different opinions on temps. Within reason most are OK. My enclosure is 82f at cool end and 88f at the warm end. I'm happy with how my juveniles are growing.
I've noticed my juveniles always go to the cool end to sleep for the night, which is good because they don't ever want to sit under the heat source. If your tort sits under the heat source constantly, then the rest of your enclosure is not warm enough. Plus sat under the heat source causes unnatural growth on the carapace (shell).
Show us some photos of your enclosure please.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Forgot to mention my humidity does not drop below 80%.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
South Florida. I would put her outside but we don't have a yard. Hopefully in a year or so we will be able to move her outside.
You are in my area. Since we do have good weather for the reds, I don't really keep any inside except my hatchlings. I try to get them outside a soon as possible though. I use a big plastic bin with cypress mulch. I use the cover to keep in the humidity, cover the bin almost all the way and heat coils underneath on one side. They are in the garage, the ambient temps have been around 80F and a bit warmer over the coils. Since they are not outside I supplement with calcium with D3. It doesn't need to be expensive just efficient. I don't have any experience with lights, sorry.

Anyfoot: I had issues with the sphagnum moss.

iPinkMink

Temp under the light right now is 96F, humidity at 80%. Cool side is 81F. It's 36L x 18W. No UV because she gets outside time almost daily for about 30 minutes.

On the shell note, we are seeing some improvements already with the triple antibiotic and anti-fungal. A few of the small spots are aleady gone. I'll post a side-by-side.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

iPinkMink

Left is before treatment, right is one day after treatment

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    842.5 KB · Views: 13

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Looks good. Fungus is scary looking but relatively easy to deal with. Good job, keep up the good work. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.