Is this shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capri

5 Year Member

This is Capri! For some background info, we live in NH and use Cypress mulch and sphagnum moss. Her humidity is always around 80%. She gets a soak every day and I always dry her off afterwards.

We did bring her to the vet recently when only the bottom white spot was there and he wasn't too concerned and said it wasn't shell rot. But today while soaking her I noticed that she had another white spot. What do you think it is? I would really appreciate some advice!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I am not sure. Hopefully someone will reply soon to help you.
I wanted to tell ya how cute she is!! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Could be the start of shell rot or a fungus. They need high humidity but with out sitting on wet substrate. The best way to do this is to pour the water into a corner of the enclosure so the underneath gets damp, leaving the top dry. Until it's cleared up, keep it clean and dry

Capri

5 Year Member
Should I put the medicine on it or just keep it dry and clean? I just switched to putting the moss on the bottom and the mulch on the top. Do you suggest a different substrate? I am going to plant some plants in her home because that may be good for the humidity. She needs a home makeover anyway

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using TortForum mobile app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You said medicine ....what type of medicine are you referring to? I do think you may have a smidge of funk starting...but very small at present...

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
It is possibly a touch of rot. Therenis no harm at all in puting some atheletes foot cream on it.

Capri

5 Year Member
I meant the Betadine and anti fungal cream. We are redoing her home today and we are going to treat her for the shell rot. Betadine is only for 2 treatments, right? Thanks for all the help! I'm just glad to know what it is and to have caught it so early

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can do soft tooth brush and gently clean with the med and then wipe clean..then apply the cream....

Capri

5 Year Member
Perfect! That's what we did. She's been so energetic and happy since we redid her home. Thanks for all of the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.