Weird symptoms (not eating)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!
Me again. Once again, I'm a tad worried about Ginger. She is showing a bit of weird symptoms for the last two to three days.
1. Not eating. She is usually a hog and eats as much as she can fit, but lately she's been so distracted she won't even eat from my hand and she walks right over her food when I put her near it.
2. Extremely active. I've been taking her out daily which usually calms her down, but she doesn't seem to calm down. She walks everywhere like she's being chased, all frantic-like.
3. Blinking. She keeps getting dirt in her eyes and it seems to bother her more than usual. Now, even after soaking, there is a little bit of bubbles in the corners of her eye.
4. Pooping very little. She also hardly ever poops big chunks anymore. Always little teensy bits. I soak her and have given her pumpkin to see if it loosens her up, but it doesn't seem to. However, she doesn't seem to have to push and push to get it out, it just plops out. I just don't know why it's so small all of the sudden!
Nothing has changed in her cage with the exception of a flat rock instead of a bowl for her food. I wanted it to keep her beak and nails shorter. She's had the new rock for about a week and she had just started to get the hang of eating off of it, but now she seems to have forgotten how to eat entirely!
Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of brumating/hibernating torts are not eating much right now.
As for active when put into a bigger area, pretty common actually. If it's not common for her, maybe she's too cold or its going to be her common now.
As for dirt in her eyes, not sure on that one. Maybe try patting the dirt down more and see if that helps

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Yes, I'll try patting it down. Thanks! It's weird, she's just always got dirt on her face. So this is hibernating behavior? Less eating and less pooping?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Okay, I'm still really worried. She barely even poked at her food today. I took her out for a soak. She didn't poop or pee. She hasn't for three days now. And when I put her in her warm bath, she kept her head under the water until I became concerned and put my hand in for her to climb up a bit. She almost fell asleep on my hand!! Normally she would scuttle to get out. I let her rest for a while and now she's outside taking a few munchies on grass like nothing is wrong. What should I do?
Is there a way to keep her from hibernating?!!!
Is she pregnant all of the sudden?!
Any help is appreciated!!!!!!

yillt

Okay, I'm still really worried. She barely even poked at her food today. I took her out for a soak. She didn't poop or pee. She hasn't for three days now. And when I put her in her warm bath, she kept her head under the water until I became concerned and put my hand in for her to climb up a bit. She almost fell asleep on my hand!! Normally she would scuttle to get out. I let her rest for a while and now she's outside taking a few munchies on grass like nothing is wrong. What should I do?
Is there a way to keep her from hibernating?!!!
Is she pregnant all of the sudden?!
Any help is appreciated!!!!!!
It can be very worrying when they're not eating much or being lethargic. What are the temperatures in the enclosure? About going to the loo, sometimes they don't go every day anyway. Is she is not eating the food you give her but eating the grass, perhaps she doesn't like the food. Offer some variety. Soak her a bit more often and for about 10 minutes each time. If she gets any worse, a vet visit is absolutely necessary.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
What's the weather like back there? If it's cold then this is expected; as torts tend to lose appetite in Winter. I used to get extremely worried in Winter as Oli would not eat much. I learned that torts don't eat much in cold weather.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
What's the weather like back there? If it's cold then this is expected; as torts tend to lose appetite in Winter. I used to get extremely worried in Winter as Oli would not eat much. I learned that torts don't eat much in cold weather.
It's in the seventies but a huge storm just came through, it's usually warmer.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It can be very worrying when they're not eating much or being lethargic. What are the temperatures in the enclosure? About going to the loo, sometimes they don't go every day anyway. Is she is not eating the food you give her but eating the grass, perhaps she doesn't like the food. Offer some variety. Soak her a bit more often and for about 10 minutes each time. If she gets any worse, a vet visit is absolutely necessary.

It gets about 90 in the hottest spot. I have tried offering her different food, but she doesn't seem very interested in anything. She munches on romaine lettuce but refuses everything else which use to be her very favorite (broccoli, cucumber, zucchini, carrots). Do you think I should soak her more than once a day?