pneumonia

avasims

Location (City and/or State)
rogers minnesota
hello everyone, I’ve gotten in contact with the vet again and she has come to the conclusion that my tortoise peaches has pneumonia. All the symptoms seem to be related to calcium deficiency as well as respiratory infection. I have gotten her calcium levels regulated again, and she has pooped finally. The problem now is how are we going to treat the pneumonia. I have antibacterial shots that I give to her every three days but this isn’t enough to relieve her pain. Does anyone have any suggestions on home remedies to help with her symptoms. She often opens her mouth (since she can’t get enough air through her nose) but when that happens I’ll give her a warm soak and usually that loosens things up and she stops struggling. Is there anything in specific I could feed her, or any type of home remedy to use on her to make this process easier. Let me know your thoughts.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
hello everyone, I’ve gotten in contact with the vet again and she has come to the conclusion that my tortoise peaches has pneumonia. All the symptoms seem to be related to calcium deficiency as well as respiratory infection. I have gotten her calcium levels regulated again, and she has pooped finally. The problem now is how are we going to treat the pneumonia. I have antibacterial shots that I give to her every three days but this isn’t enough to relieve her pain. Does anyone have any suggestions on home remedies to help with her symptoms. She often opens her mouth (since she can’t get enough air through her nose) but when that happens I’ll give her a warm soak and usually that loosens things up and she stops struggling. Is there anything in specific I could feed her, or any type of home remedy to use on her to make this process easier. Let me know your thoughts.
This does not sound good. First thing to do is make sure she is in a warm enclosure and it stays at the warm temperature that's suitable for that species plus a bit of a bump up in the heat because she is sick. What are these "antibacterial" shots? What type of vet was seeing her? We have people here who can help you if they have more details of her situation and meds.