Well vet visit...?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Tuleo (Sulcata) was purchased from Lance here on the forum and will be 2 in July. He is doing fantastic, looks great, eats great and I have no worries with him currently. He has yet to see a vet.

My question is this: Do torts need well visits with a vet? I don't want to **** money into the wind but also want to make sure I am doing this right.

Thoughts?

sunnyday1.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think fecal exams need to be done yearly . So yes if that helps .

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Dawn, ur @Lancecham Sully looks perfect unless there's a real issue I think you're fine as is, no vet visit! Maybe a good idea to ensure you have a good vet that sees torts, but no reason for an all clear check. Our @Lancecham Sully has had no issues either, he's just turned one year this week.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think that you should at least establish a vet in your area. Take your tortoise in and evaluate how much the vet really seems to know about tortoises. I also think a yearly fecal test is a good idea. If your tortoise does have a problem it will be much easier to get into a vet you're already established with and that knows your tortoise at least a little bit. I would also suggest letting your that know about this forum.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Two fold. One way to look at it is a fecal test can determine an issue before it's too late.
IMO I've spent over $1,200 in the past 20 months to be told that nothing is wrong with two tortoises that acted ill.
If you have the money it's peace of mind. If you get jaded...like me. I'll save the money.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I agree with at least finding a vet that you know is experienced with tortoises. If your tortoise does get sick, you definitely do not want someone who has no idea what they're doing, and I personally would not want to find that out after my tortoise was mistreated. They could potentially make things worse.

That is one cute picture, by the way!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks everyone! I think making an appt. for a fecal sounds like a good idea. Having a baseline of where we stand now while he is healthy is never a bad thing. I treat my yard with food grade DE and haven't seen anything but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I VERY much appreciate all the input!

Now for the hard part - finding that perfect vet!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
After your vet has your torts information you can bring in poop samples every so often . My vet charges me 25 bucks to check poo samples .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tuleo (Sulcata) was purchased from Lance here on the forum and will be 2 in July. He is doing fantastic, looks great, eats great and I have no worries with him currently. He has yet to see a vet.

My question is this: Do torts need well visits with a vet? I don't want to **** money into the wind but also want to make sure I am doing this right.

Thoughts?

View attachment 130326

If it is not broke....then don't mess with it until you break it....if the tort is doing as you describe...I would continue as you are doing and not stress the tort out.......stress is a huge issue with tortoise and can cause illness that would not otherwise present itself. Just my opinion...and if you are going to take poo for a check up...remember, no living animal should be entirely free of critters....