Western Hermann with Indian Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi I just purchased a Sardanian Western Hermann tortoise in the mail, she/he will be coming tomorrow and I was wondering if I can keep her with my baby indian star tortoise. Both of these tortoises are babies and will be kept in a fairly large enclosure. Is that ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. They are from different areas of the world and could infect each other with disease organisms that they can't handle. They also have totally different environmental needs, and they are very different behaviorally. Also tortoises should not be kept in pairs.

Both of the species you mention are fairly rare and precious. Please do not risk their lives by mixing them. Give each one it's own enclosure and both of them will be happier.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
You should never keep different species together - They may have different germs they pass could on to each other, and they have different care requirements. I do not know much about Stars, but I suspect their care requirements vary quite a bit from a Hermann!

PS- Please post pics of your new little guy when you get him!! :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh goodness no. Do not risk it. They should have their separate little tortoise lands|enclosures. There is nothing worse than reading later that one or the other, or heavens, both, died. No-no-no ...

But yes-yes-yes to pictures so we can admire your precious cuties! You are lucky to have them! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.