wet rag on sulcata hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipsr26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san bernardino
iam looking for some input on putting a wet rag on a sulcata hatchlings shell during soakings. I personaly believe that pyramiding in some way is related to moisture in the shell during growth

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I think you have your thinking right. pyramiding is related to moisture in the shell during growth. But it is the humidity in the habitat that will resolve this issue not the rag on its shell. His shell is like your fingernails only thicker. It does not really absorbe water in the way you may think. I would suggest your habitat be at about 70 % humidity for the first two years or so to help prevent pyramiding however diet and exersize also play an important part. JMHO

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-10452.html
This is my Sulcata. You can tell where his pyramiding stopped and where new smooth growth came in. During the bad growth i was having touble maintaining humidity and isaac was very ill. Within a month a keeping the humidity up, he has had great smooth dark shell growth. His enclosure is 60 - 70% humidity during the day and 80 - 95% at night. Withough heat lamps, ceiling fans, or air conditioner vents nearby, the humidity should build up overnight in the enclosure. It doesnt have to be high during the day. In the wild sulcatas roam the savanah looking for food. There is about 20% humidity in and near the sahara desert. But at night they go into hiding. In their tunnels it stays very humid and thats when shel growth happens.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree with Robyn. The short time of a rag being on does nothing compared to the substrate humidity where the tort is the other 23.75 hours of the day! What kind of substrate do you have? It is ideal to have something which can be moistened and mixed up every few days, but kept warm (warm and moist is good but cold and moist is bad), such as Cyprus Mulch, Orchid Bark, Coconut Coir, Organic Potting Soil, etc.

philipsr26

5 Year Member
san bernardino
yes but if your going to soak his bottom half why not his upper half aswell "What could it hurt to soak both". now he is in a moist substrate with a moist burrow not a hide box i posted a new thread titled "simulated burrow" that contains some pictures

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use a half log...the largest one they sell...then I soak it. Even with the heat emitter on top of it, the inside stays humid for a long time until I soak it again.

M

Maggie Cummings

In order to prevent pyramiding you need to create humidity at the tortoise level and it needs to be about 80%. In the wild they dig 20 foot long burrows and they poop and pee in them creating an ambient humidity of about 80%. They also walk for miles like I have already mentioned, then there needs to be a correct diet and good UVB those 4 things are needed to prevent pyramiding. Soaking them doesn't do anything to prevent pyramiding, you soak them so they can get a drink...anyhow, you need those 4 things in line to prevent pyramiding...
I would concentrate on making those 4 things the best you can, and don't put a rag over that baby you could drown him...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
For the parallel universe file: I put a small warm wet washcloth on Taco's carapace during her bath today, and I swear to God she smiled with pleasure...I guess it could have been gas.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It prob felt good to have a warm cloth on her back since that is where their blood vessels are and that is how they usually warm up. I don't think anyone is saying don't do it, just that it won't help fight pyramiding since it is not helping to keep them humid.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
A wet rag would also quickly cool down, faster than the bath water. I wouldn't want to do this.

I

Italianlnm

Rhyn, How did you get the humidity up? I am having some trouble keeping humidity.

philipsr26

5 Year Member
san bernardino
maggie3fan said:
In order to prevent pyramiding you need to create humidity at the tortoise level and it needs to be about 80%. In the wild they dig 20 foot long burrows and they poop and pee in them creating an ambient humidity of about 80%. They also walk for miles like I have already mentioned, then there needs to be a correct diet and good UVB those 4 things are needed to prevent pyramiding. Soaking them doesn't do anything to prevent pyramiding, you soak them so they can get a drink...anyhow, you need those 4 things in line to prevent pyramiding...
I would concentrate on making those 4 things the best you can, and don't put a rag over that baby you could drown him...

i have added eco earth and a 10.0 desert reptile bulb with uvb and uva all iam saying is what would it hurt to soak the whole tortoise

philipsr26

5 Year Member
san bernardino
Italianlnm said:
Rhyn, How did you get the humidity up? I am having some trouble keeping humidity.

I don't actually know the humidity level i don't have a hydrometer yet all i did was mix about 2 cups of water in the Eco-earth and mix it the water sinks to the bottom but if you stick your finger into the bottom you can feel the moisture sort of like if you ever dig into your lawn you can feel the moisture in the dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.