What age to sell?

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Hello everyone! I have a quick question. At what age can you sell a tortoise who recently hatched out of the incubator? And is it illegal to sell them really early?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello everyone! I have a quick question. At what age can you sell a tortoise who recently hatched out of the incubator? And is it illegal to sell them really early?
There is no law governing the age at which you can sell a baby tortoise.

I will not sell a baby until it is well started and growing well. My benchmark is at least 2x its hatch weight before I will sell. I personally feel it is important to know you are selling a tortoise that is completely healthy in all ways you can judge. By waiting until 2x hatch weight it is proven to be doing well and metabolizing foods well. I also like to personally give a tortoise that has already started laying down smooth growth with no beginnings of pyramiding - another sign of a good start.

In a few rare cases where I am working with a very experienced keeper who wants one earlier, I will comply if I am comfortable with that person and their ability, and they have specific reasons why they want it earlier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with what Mark said. To put a time frame on that: Its at least 7-10 days in the brooder box to absorb the yolk sac, close up the umbilical scar, and get introduced to a variety of good foods. Then a good month or two to double their hatch weight after that point.

I have some very knowledgeable friends who prefer not to sell until babies have reached 100 grams. This is an investment of months for them, and they charge a little more for their time, but it ensures that the buyer is getting a top notch, super healthy, extremely well started baby.

Another good rule of thumb is to not let them go until the egg tooth is fully gone. That is usually around 6 weeks.