what am I doing wrong - bathing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Murcia, Spain
Hi all, Im a new owner of a lovely little lady called LuLu - I read in many posts that she should be bathed. I have tried this a couple of times and she doesnt seem to like it ? I have a shallow oblong plastic dish thingy which I put in tepid water up to her chin level.
When I put her in she scrambles to get out - what am I doing wrong ?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I dont think your doing anything wrong some just do not like it :D is the water warm ?

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
coreyc said:
I dont think your doing anything wrong some just do not like it :D is the water warm ?

ah :cool: the water is warm, but I dont know the temp of it, thats another thing I was fussing about the warmth of the water and as its in a shallow dish it cools off within 4/5 mins

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I use a tupperware tub and put it under my basking light in the enclosure to keep it warm

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
I dont have a basking light, well I do its that big hot thing in the sky :p we live in Spain and she lives in my garden, theres a varirty of direct sunlight, dappled sunlight, shade and total shade.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
CoreyC i have never thought of that im going to doo that!! ^^^
My tortoise hated it at first but then he realised he is not going to escape and behind his ears are gonna get scrubbed no matter what lol! :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If your tortoise lives outdoors I would just place a shallow water container, with the top rim at ground level and keep clean water in it at all times. The tortoise will drink whenever it needs to. There is no reason to actually bathe a tortoise that lives outdoors, the rain will do that occasionally. If given a clean drinking water source they will find it and drink as they need to.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
GBtortoises said:
If your tortoise lives outdoors I would just place a shallow water container, with the top rim at ground level and keep clean water in it at all times. The tortoise will drink whenever it needs to. There is no reason to actually bathe a tortoise that lives outdoors, the rain will do that occasionally. If given a clean drinking water source they will find it and drink as they need to.

ahhh ! thanks I do have a large ceramic drip tray from a plant pot that I use for her water needs, which I change freqently. I havent seen her using it but of course Im not watching her 24/7 so I guess she is OK.

Sooooooo *scratches head* the bathing thing is that for indoor owners only ?? surely every owner has water available ? Am I missing something ? ;P

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Soaking a tortoise is a debatable issue. The theory is that it helps hydrate the tortoise, but reptile skin is impermeable, so water cannot move from the tub to inside the animal. It CAN and DOES 'plump' up the skin cells, makes it easy for the tortoise to drink, and encourages the tort to defecate and urinate which can both trigger additional drinking. As you have found, though, it also stresses some tortoises pretty badly.

Some people advocate this big time, others feel that as long as your tort is reasonably hydrated and as easy access to water, why bother?

Does your tortoise feel like a bag of wet sand, or kind of light for its size? If it feels solid and heavy, you probably don't need to worry about this.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
Madkins007 said:
Soaking a tortoise is a debatable issue. The theory is that it helps hydrate the tortoise, but reptile skin is impermeable, so water cannot move from the tub to inside the animal. It CAN and DOES 'plump' up the skin cells, makes it easy for the tortoise to drink, and encourages the tort to defecate and urinate which can both trigger additional drinking. As you have found, though, it also stresses some tortoises pretty badly.

Some people advocate this big time, others feel that as long as your tort is reasonably hydrated and as easy access to water, why bother?

Does your tortoise feel like a bag of wet sand, or kind of light for its size? If it feels solid and heavy, you probably don't need to worry about this.

Thanks for your comments. She feels a good weight, not like a feather, so I think she is OK, her eyes are bright and clean ! She basks in the sun and dappled shade and then she scoots of to hide under some vegetation :)
I dont want to do anything to stress her, but of course I dont want to let her dehydrate either. I suppose we all try our best and can be a bit over zealous, shes a wild animal and I guess she knows what she needs. As long as I provide good clean water and a healthy varied diet, we shouldnt go far wrong :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use the term "soak" rather than "bathe." When you keep a tortoise indoors under heat and lights, in effect, you have them on slow cook. So a forced soak ensures that they are kept hydrated.

When a tortoise is outside, the sun isn't as concentrated on the tortoise as the light indoors is, and also he can hide under the bushes or dig a scrape to keep a little cooler. In this instance, he will know when he needs to take a drink and will make use of the waterer in his pen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak all of my juveniles and babies daily. I do this to make sure they are hydrated. Its cheap insurance in my mind. Its also very dry here, which might not be as much of a factor for you. I don't worry about it stressing them. They all get used to it and it ensures their good health.

I think there are many factors to consider in such a case. The weather, the climate, the season, the actual enclosure and its available micro climates, whether you have an adult or a baby, diet, supplementation (I recommend more soaking if you give a calcium supplement), etc...
In your case, with all the factors, I think GB is probably right about not worrying too much about it, BUT, it also won't hurt anything if you do decide to soak her regularly.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
(I must apologize- I completely forgot to mention local climate as part of my answer. Thanks for reminding me, Tom!)

Status
Not open for further replies.